Profile Evaluation and Guidance

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation and Guidance

by shiny.paul » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:31 am
Hello,

This is Shiny. I am an Indian Female / 27 Years. Below is a gist of my profile.
Hoping for a June/July 2015 intake. I am confused as to which stream I should select. Below is my brief profile:

Mechanical Engineering Degree - 71.9% , roughly translates to 2.2 GPA. Graduated June 2008.

Working with TechMahindra ( formerly Satyam computers) since 2008 Oct.

I am working in the Integrated Engineering Services Dept. Client is a Tire Manufacturer in the US. I use Mechanical Softwares - CATIA V5. ( So its not completely off from my degree even though my company is mainly an IT company)

Onsite from November 2010 to July 2011 and from May 2012 to October 2012.

No great Extra Curriculars :

Was part of an initiative called Did You Know Series (Have certificate of Appreciation )
Star Performer Award ( FY 2011-2012)
Emcee for the IES day celebrations (2012)
Organizer and Emcee for a project level event (around 50 people in the project) (2014)
Have started a group for social activities in my project (My bosses can vouch for it in my LORs)

GMAT score : 680 ; AWA : 5 ; Integrated Reasoning : 6
Yet to give TOEFL.

I do not have clarity on what stream to choose. Because of my background, I will have to start out as a fresher in any field of specialization I choose.
Is there any field where I can use my experience?

What specialization is currently in demand and the job situation after graduation?

Supply Chain Mgmt, Marketing, International Business, Operations and Management Consultancy are some of the options that I was thinking of. Do you think any of them will be good for me?

Your advice would be of great help.
Thanks for your time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:25 pm
Hello Shiny,

Thank you for your post!

First, in regards to applying for an MBA, your 71.9% GPA will be considered strong, unlike a 2.2 GPA. You'll likely not even need to convert it to the 4.0 scale (be sure to check the applications though:-)), so you can instead consider the strength of this if you graduated, for example, First Class. In terms of applying to an MBA program, many applicants are seeking to "switch careers." The key for you will be to account for your leadership and management experience, as well as other skills, such as communication and teamwork, to show that you have the potential to thrive in whichever future career you choose. The quantitative skills from your engineering background should be relevant no matter which path you choose. That said, without a bit more information about your day-to-day role, accomplishments and interests, it's a bit difficult to pinpoint a specific industry and what will be "good" for you. You'll want to consider your passions and the impact you hope to have in the future.

In the meantime, keep in mind that improving your GMAT score to a 700+ would open some more doors for you in terms of MBA programs.

If you'd like to discuss your potential options further, please contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.