Profile Evaluation - GMAT - 680, 2.5 years work ex in KPMG

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I would request you to please evaluate my current profile and let me know the best possible colleges (Mainly ISB, SP Jain Mumbai - PGDM program, US and UK B-schools)in which I might have good chances.

Secondly, I have planned to set up a social enterprise and I have worked enough on that B-plan, that I will be able to present that B-plan, if I get an interview call. Also if considered appropriate, I might also mention a brief summary about the same in my application. - Do you think this might help me in any way during my selection process, considering that may b-schools nowadays encourage entrepreneurship among their students.

My profile -

GMAT score -
GMAT 680 (Quant - 49, Verbal - 34, IR-5)

Experience -
Working in KPMG India as Risk Analyst in Risk Consulting for 2.5 years now.
Conducted internal audits and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) implementation reviews across various industries like cement, diamond mining, pharmaceutical, consumer healthcare, power, media & entertainment, telecom, real estate, etc.
I also had some exposure to merger and acquisition (M&A) related , while assisting on an Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) assignment for an IT industry client.

Under-graduation & Schooling Achievements
a) GPA - 3.4/4.0 in Bachelor in Business Administration from Symbiosis B.B.A.(Spec - Corporate Management)
Percentage in XII - 90.4% (Commerce with Maths)
Percentage in X - 89.1%
b) Looking forward to have a career in Finance (More specifically M&A)and have been consistently strong in subjects/areas such as Maths, Accounts and Economics (key areas for Finance)- Achieved 4.0/4.0 in all 6 semesters in these subjects/subjects with similar areas.
c) Completed a course in Banking and Finance in college.
d) Core-Committee member in International Fest of SCMS (UG).
e) Reached in final round (Top 5) of the event 'Best Manager' in college fest.
f) Volunteer for four months under the Mentorship programme of Teach for India.
g) Worked as an intern for 1 month in a Blood Bank run by an NGO.
h) Participated in college entrepreneurship cell event.
i) Participated in Food Fest and SIMUNC (Model United Nations Conference) in college.
h) Qualified for the final round of college B-Quiz event..
h) Stood 2nd in intra-district Mathematics Quiz competition.
i) Served as the House Captain in my school.
j) Junior Core-Committee member in Accommodation team in Sympulse'12

Other Interests
a) As I mentioned earlier, I have a business plan related to starting a social enterprise, but I feel that I need those entrepreneurial and management skills, which I will gain in MBA, to set up that social enterprise in a successful manner.
b) I enjoy visiting new places, meeting people from different cultures and trying different cuisines.
c) Looking forward to learn Spanish.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:00 am
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Sounds like you have the following strengths from what I can assess here:

-solid risk analyst & auditing experience at KPMG; some exposure to many industries and M&A etc
-evident quant and analytical skills
-some volunteering and involvement in the past

Potential challenges or weaknesses:

-GMAT is lower than average at ISB and many top programs (so depends upon what you are aiming for; for US you may want to look outside the top 15-20 for better chances)
-slightly fewer than average years of work experience but not a huge weakness if you can show quality of experience over that time and that now is the right time to get the MBA
-not a weakness per se but just generally-- to get into top global schools, you'll need to work hard to stand out and show what you'll bring to the class and on the flip side, what you'll do with the degree.

Re: your business plan, if it fits in without being forced you can mention it and sure it shows some initiative and drive; that said there are a lot of applicants with biz-plans and a lot who have already established start ups, so I wouldn't say it's a huge edge per se. I'd also be prepared for potential challenging questions on the plan in say, an interview situation, just a heads up.

Generally it's just such a competitive admissions environment, so at the end of the day sometimes some applicants get chosen over others not necessarily because of something that is a weakness in your profile, but because someone else had something to offer that the admissions committee valued for the class, or that they really grabbed and engaged the reader of the applications with their stories, examples and personality.

For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book. There are a lot of factors to consider so it's hard to give too many specific recommendations without learning more about what you are looking for.

Good luck on the process!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders