How to study in one hour per day?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to study in one hour per day?

by jbotero08 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:38 pm
Hello.

I'm sitting for the GMAT on September 6th.

I've been haphazardly reviewing and I need to get focused. I'm asking for help.

GRE 161Q 80% & 165V 95% --> 680 GMAT
GMATPrep 1 Q46 V39 --> 690 GMAT
GMAT Prep 1 (retake a month later) Q48 V39 --> 710 GMAT
GMAT Prep 2 Q48 V40 --> 710 GMAT

My goal is break into the 720-730 range although I would be very content to be in the 700-710 range.

I bought two more practice tests from GMAC and I might buy the Veritas Prep tests.

I own the OG 12th Edition, the Verbal Review 2nd Edition, and the latest edition of the Math Review.

In short, how can I invest an hour a day and one diagnostic test weekly to boost my score by the 10 to 20 points that I want.

What advice do you all have?

Thank you.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by TarunaSaini » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:07 pm
Hi,

One tip that I can suggest is going through the Prep Exams and understanding the incorrectly answered questions.
Try to recognize if there is a pattern in the incorrectly answered question.
It might help in avoiding some pitfalls and increasing your score by 10-20 marks.

Good Luck!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:54 pm
Hi jobotero08,

When you took these practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? If you did not, then these scores are not necessarily accurate. A shorter test usually means that you didn't face the fatigue/endurance issues that occur on Test Day and the result is an artificially "inflated" score. If you DID take the entire CAT, then it appears that you're in really good shape for Test Day.

With the remaining time that you have (and the remaining CATs), you need to be sure to make the experience as Test-Like as possible. Take the ENTIRE CAT, at the same start time as your Official GMAT, away from your home, on a Desktop Computer if possible, etc. 1 hour a day of study isn't much, but you have a greater opportunity right now to pick up points in the Verbal section, so you might want to put a bit more time into the Verbal material that you're working with.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:29 am
If you have just one hour per day you need to get the most from that hour. You need to turn off the phone, lock the front door, and focus strictly on the task at hand.

One hour of focused study is worth 2+ hours of distracted studying.

Now you will need to have your one hour be very targeted. You do not just want to "do some problems" Based on your practice exams decide which areas you need to focus on and make sure that these become a priority for your hour sessions.

You mentioned the Veritas practice tests - Did you try the free Veritas practice exam yet? You can try the first exam for free and the link is in my signature line below.

Happy studying!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shrivats » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 pm
One hour per day is tight.. mostly I also got no more than an hour a day.. My advise would be, be really focused, and set targets for that on hour, like 15 SC, 3-4 RCs or 20 quant and 15 CRs. and then take the mock tests every weekend. thats would be my advice.