Retaking the GMAT (help please)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Retaking the GMAT (help please)

by Arcane66 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 am
I took the GMAT back in 2010 and scored a 660. I don't remember the breakdown. Anyway, the only reason for me retaking the GMAT is so I can get accepted into a PhD program. I really am shooting for above a 700, but hopefully > 720.

My question is what changes have been made to the GMAT since I've taken the exam? I guess it's still scored on a "0-800" type basis. What materials do you guys recommend? I still have some materials from back in the day. I am really leaning toward not spending ANY money on prep materials because I honestly cannot afford to do that.

I would prefer to start studying for the GMAT starting tonight or tomorrow. I will do more research today about the exam, but I just thought some of you all could help me save some time.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm
Hi Arcane66,

Since it's been so long since you've been in "GMAT mode", it would make sense for you to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT, so that you can get a sense of your current abilities. You can download 2 for free from www.mba.com. Once you've taken that CAT, you should report back here with your scores.

The current version of the GMAT includes a section called Integrated Reasoning (instead of the second essay that you would have written in 2010) - it's a set of 12 questions (sometimes multi-part) that test your analysis of data (charts and graphs) and your ability to logically connect ideas (multi-source reasoning). You might find this section frustrating in that you have just 30 minutes to complete it.

PhD programs are remarkably competitive, so I agree that a 700+ GMAT score is probably going to be a must. You say that you don't want to spend ANY money on this process, but I think that at some point you're going to have to decide WHICH ideal is more important - getting a high GMAT score that will make you a competitive applicant OR not spending any money. It's not likely that you'll get to do both.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Arcane66 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 am
Thank you very much for your post, Rich. I might be able to torrent some GMAT materials. You basically caught me up to speed. Yes, PhD programs are so competitive! I appreciate the assistance and will report back when I've completed an assessment. Thank you.

by Arcane66 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:05 pm
Sorry for the long wait. I took a practice GMAT from mba.com

Score was 720 (48Q, 41V). I'm reporting back. I hope Rich sees this and advises me. Thanks

Also, I am going to go over my questions (all of them, especially the ones I got wrong).

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:14 pm
Hi Arcane66,

Your performance on this practice CAT is a good sign. You're clearly a logical thinker (and you've managed to retain many of the concepts from the first time you studied). I have some follow-up questions:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take the CAT in one sitting, under reasonably test-like conditions?
3) When are your applications due for the programs that you're considering?

Rich

by Arcane66 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:49 am
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

1)Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? No, I only took the math and English portions. I remember I did well on the essay (5.5 I think) when I took the GMAT the first time around. I don't know if it's bad, but I don't think I really care about essay or IR.

2)Did you take the CAT in one sitting, under reasonably test-like conditions? Yes, I did everything in one sitting.

3) When are your applications due for the programs that you're considering? Applications are due typically by February 1st for any program I'd be considering. I haven't researched all the potential programs, but I know my alma mater's deadline is around February 1st.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 am
Hi Arcane66,

You're in a great situation right now; you've performed well and you have plenty of time to continue prepping.

Going forward, here's what I'd recommend:

1) You need to properly prepare for the Essay and IR sections. I'm sure you'll do fine, but you don't want any "surprises" on Test Day, so you have to do some work just so you're comfortable with what's coming. Even if your PhD programs don't care about the Essay and IR scores, they will know (from your score report) if you tanked those sections of the GMAT on purpose. With that level of competition, you don't want any negative association attached to your application.

2) To add on to the prior point, take the ENTIRE CAT from now on. You're not just training for the content, you're training for the endurance.

3) Review each CAT in it's entirety (including the questions that you got correct). You should be looking to fix little mistakes, iron out any inconsistencies and figure out how often you "guessed" correctly (and figure out what you could have done to actually get to the correct answer).

4) You can study using whatever general plan you had put together. Your next CAT should be in 2-3 weeks. That result will provide some important information about how long of a study period you'll really need and any additional resources you should invest in.

Rich

by Arcane66 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 pm
I completely see where you're coming from in regard to the essay and IR sections. I will review my CAT stuff later tonight. Also, I'll start doing the entire CAT.

The only materials I acquired are the Fifth Edition MGMAT guides & 13th Edition OG. I basically am just reviewing those for the mean time. I'll start taking notes on the material and analyzing what things I don't know that I need to learn. I'll also start reading something to improve my reading comprehension.

I appreciate the help, and I'll definitely fill you in on my next CAT score. Also, I plan on taking the actual GMAT before the end of the year.