Kindly evaluate my profile

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kindly evaluate my profile

by latomide89 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 am
Hi

I would really appreciate it if you could evaluate my profile. My Target schools are: Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Tuck, Columbia, Haas, Sloan and Darden.

Nigerian Female, 25

Undergraduate: Economics,(Graduated with a 2:1 from the University of Leicester, UK)

Post Graduate: Finance and Economics (Graduated with a Pass from Warwick Business School - one of top 25 business schools in the world). There are four grade levels (Distinction, Pass and Fail). I'm particularly worried about this. For some reason i wasn't on top of my game during my masters and there's not any particularly serious reason for that. If i do get asked for my transcript, my not so great grades will be uncovered (including a failed Derivatives course).

I've also passed the CFA Level 1 exam

GMAT: to write GMAT on the 13th of September

Work experience: I currently have about 2 and a half years work experience with Accenture. By this time next year, i will have 3 and a half years of work experience with Accenture. I also previously worked with Exxon Mobil for 10 months during my Youth Service Year (a program compulsory for new Nigerian Graduates who wish to work in Nigeria) and i previously interned with KPMG for about 3 months.

Extracurricular Activities (I haven't done so much since i left university):
- Member of various choirs (2009 to date)
- Organised music talent hunt competition for secondary school students in a local government in Lagos, Nigeria (2010)
- Vice President, University of Leicester Finance Society (2007 - 2009)
- Team Lead, Mind the Gap Career Mentorship Programme (2009 - 2010)
- Student Communication Team (University of Leicester)(2007 - 2009)
- Community Services include (2006):
- Tutored young girls with physical disabilities
- Cleaned a local hospital every Wednesday for one year

Post-MBA goal: Possibly Strategy department of an FMCG

Kindly also advise on whether it better to apply in round one or two. I haven't started applications yet and round one deadlines for schools i'm interested in are from the end of September to first week October.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:21 am
Hi there,

Thanks for posting, and good luck on that GMAT this September! That will likely play a role in terms of how within- reach these schools are, but generally you have a lot going for you in your profile so you're off to a strong start.

Some noted strengths thus far...

-graduate school experience in finance (even if just pass/not as strong as hoped)
-CFA
-solid work experience at Accenture
-lots of involvement at university
-community involvement
-somewhat less-common nationality; also schools are looking for qualified female applicants

Potential weaknesses include:

-academic performance could be stronger

Unknowns:
-more about leadership experience, accomplishments, teamwork skills, communication skills, etc... be sure to showcase all of the above in your applications!
-essays/recs/interviews
-why each school (can make a difference too)

It sounds like the GMAT is pretty crucial for you, in terms of helping to show you can handle the academic rigor of the program despite grades that are perhaps below average compared with your peer applicants. Definitely work hard on that preparation! ;)

In terms of rounds-- earlier is better, but you also want to ensure you have a strong application so don't sacrifice quality just for an earlier round, apply when you are ready.

Let us know how else we can help, and good luck!

-
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders