Past Mistakes - GMAT Chances - PLEASE HELP!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Past Mistakes - GMAT Chances - PLEASE HELP!

by thor5517 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm
Hello All,

I recently took the GMAT and received a 740 (Q-50, V-40), 8 IR, and 5 AWA. Once i received my score I decided that I was going to apply this year ( I was initially going to wait until next year). But I figured my score put me in contention at most schools. I am hoping to apply to H/S/W, MIT, and potentially Columbia. However when I started researching schools I realized I would need to disclose a low point in my life.

In 2010 I was attending a house party and was underage. The cops arrived at the party and I ran from the party. I was eventually caught and was given a misdemeanor. I pleaded "No Contest" (nolo contendre) and was ordered to pay a fine (roughly $200) and the case was over. However it is still a misdemeanor on my record.

I know for example Harvard asks to list any misdemeanors and explain. I was wondering if any one has any insight on how much this will hurt my chances or if it's just a complete deal breaker. Also any advice on how to explain it that it was a mistake and not indicative of who I am. Would I include this in an essay or just include it when it asks me to explain the situation. I feel like if i just explain it and let it go it wont draw to much attention to it.

Any advice or past experience would be greatly appreciated, this has kept me up many nights :/

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm
Hey - for anyone reading this post just wanted to let you know there was a response thread on another subforum and you can read it here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/chance-at-to ... tml#725979

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!