adjusting to afternoon slot...feel so sleepy in afternoons

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730
Hi!
I have my test in 3 weeks. This will be my 2nd attempt (690,q49v34 in the first attempt). I usually wake up late but as far as exams are concerned I prefer slots no later than 11 am because that is when I feel least sleepy. In general my performance in aptitude tests over the years has been well during early slots.
During my 1st attempt, the earliest slot I could get was the 12:45 slot. As expected, I lost focus in the last 1 hour(verbal) and ended up with a lower than expected score. I could clearly feel the weariness: had to read the stems multiple times and at one point I just wanted to be done with the test. I don't want such a scenario to happen again. But this time also I was only able to book a slot at 12pm as all early slots were booked till december.
What do you think I should do to adjust to afternoon timing? I gave all my mocks at the same time(12:45pm) before my 1st attempt but that didn't make much difference. Also, I tried red bull and although it works well but it makes me really jittery during the first 30 minutes. This may decrease my accuracy in the initial questions and hence, affect my scores. So, I don't think energy drinks are an option.
Any suggestions?? :?:

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:14 am
Hi dp26389,

Since you have been taking tests in morning slot and have been doing well therefore I wouldn't suggest that you take test in afternoon.

I myself have felt that the time during which the test is taken plays an important role in your performance. But the ability to think faster is best in morning which is I have realized therefore I would suggest that morning slots will be most suitable.

But I also suggest practice tests should be taken in morning only when you are planning to take actual GMAT.

Since, all the dates seem booked till December in the slot and test center that you are targeting therefore I suggest that you should check the dates within 10 days (from the date on which you are checking) which generally remain available due to cancellations. If the trend is convincing enough for you to decide taking test date about 10 days in advance then this option can be exercised as well.

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 am
I definitely would take practice CATs at the same time -- you may not think it made that large a difference, but I think it can subconsciously!

Here's my recommendation: change your sleep schedule to identify with your ideal time.

If your ideal time would be 10am, let's say, and you've got the 12:45pm time slot, I would plan to move your sleep schedule head 3 hours. If you usually fall asleep at Midnight and wake up a 8am, then I'd start going to bed at 3am and wake up at 11am.

It may go against your body's internal clock, but if you REALLY can't change your GMAT time, then change your sleep pattern! :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts