Need advice on improvement..taken it twice with 300's score

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have taken the GMAT twice already. The first time I had gotten a 380...ouch. I taken the practice exam from the Manhattan GMAT online and received a 540. The second time I taken it which was today I got a 330 on the real deal. To be honest, I don't know actually what I am doing wrong. I figured it was my understanding of the material, but I do fairly well in the quant and the verbal. I may need to touch more into the grammar section. I was more aware of my timing during my second try.
I even kept a time check list to know where I should be during the exam.

Problem # 10 20 30

Quant time left 55 35 15

Verbal time left 56 37 19

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st time 380 2nd time 330 :(

mood: relaxed and confident mood: a little stressed

time left
quant about 10 mins 8 mins

verbal 13 mins 4 mins

I would like to shoot for at least a 600, but I actually feel a little lost because of my scores to be honest. I know in my previous Manhattan online exams I had a time pacing issue. To me it feels that the real GMAT and practice GMAT exams from the test software are a lot harder than the Manhattan online practice exams. I have a little test anxiety, but I do not know if it's hindering my score. Please bear in mind...I am not frustrated anymore as I am more open to improvement. I may have been tackling this with an academic approach rather than an executive reasoning approach.

Thank you guys

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:56 pm
Hi Jigglypuffman,

There are clearly some differences between what you're doing in practice and what you're facing on Test Day, so no matter how you proceed from here, you have to focus on making your practice as realistic as possible. To that end, I have to use your Official Scores as a baseline. To score 600+ means a 200+ improvement in your Official Scores; that will take some time. My guess would be 3 months (or more).

You added some interesting information that I think is worth discussing:

1) You finished REALLY EARLY in both the Quant and Verbal sections. That's usually a sign of trouble. If you're not using the allotted 75 minutes, then you're rushing through the section and likely making silly mistakes.
2) Some Test Takers thing that the MGMAT CATs are harder than the Official GMAT, others think it's the opposite. It's not worth thinking too much about. Those CATs (along with Kaplan's and Veritas') are close enough to the "real thing" to provide you with a meaningful measure of your ability, IF you take the entire CAT under Test-like conditions. The MOST realistic CATs are from www.mba.com.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized exam, so you can train to beat it. Something about your study plan was "off" though, so we have to get you into a different one.

I'm hoping that you can answer a few more questions:

1) What resources did you use during your studies?
2) How long did you study before each GMAT?
3) Are you on any deadlines?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Jigglypuffman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:24 pm
Thank you for replying.

I noticed that I finished early. I feel like I really need to touch up on my timing skills. But this minute test anxiety that I have prohibits it. I know that my environments for the practice exams won't be the exact same as the real one.

I will gladly answer your questions Rich.

1) I had the Manhattan prep complete study guide 5 edition (10)books. I also took the prep class, but I felt I should have studied a bit more during that time. I did the assigned hw's but not too much on the test timing part. And I also had a 400 question pack from the GMATPrep software.

2) On average I studied about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day for about 4 months for the first exam and 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day for the second exam for about a month.

3) I am on a deadline. I have about 3 1/2 months before I have to apply to the schools.

I think the reason why I rush is because I feel a little stressed. I spend a little time on the "easy" problems and move on without double checking for simple arithmetic errors. And reading the problem too fast. But now I'm trying to time my practice problems from the book with a stopwatch. Any tips on timing?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:22 am
Hi Jigglypuffman,

Right now, you shouldn't be focused on pacing. The "pacing problem" that most Test Takers face is that they take too LONG to answer questions and then have to rush through a bunch of questions at the end of the section just to finish. You're moving so fast right now that you could very likely see a score improvement if you just slow down and take a bit more time answering the "gettable" questions that you face.

3.5 months of remaining study time is plenty of time to fix your problems and hit a 600+ score, but you have to adjust the way that you're "seeing" and reacting to the GMAT.

I suggest that you take a couple of weeks, do some review, then take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT. Try to slow down and not worry about your pacing. I'd like to see what you're capable of when you use the entire 75 minutes in each section. Even if you have to guess on a couple of questions at the end, then that's okay. Then report back with your scores.

From there, we can talk about how best to adjust your study plan.

Rich

by Jigglypuffman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:41 am
Hi Rich,

Okay gotcha! Sometimes when I get to the "gettable"/simple algebraic questions that require several steps, I get a little nervous and screw up on an arithmetic step. I don't know why, but I get that rush/panic feeling on the long simple questions. I feel like they're easy and I don't usually look back at them. Those easy questions hurt the most. I know we're not supposed feel like the test is easy or hard, but sometimes I feel it either way.

I will take up on your advice on slowing down. Any tips on how to handle minor test anxiety? Yoga perhaps haha?

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm
Hi Jigglypuffman,

With the GMAT, you can always take the Test again, and Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once. That perspective should help you to stay more calm. Also, you can get the first question wrong and still get an 800, so getting a question wrong won't destroy your score.

Since the GMAT adapts to you, it will feel challenging (it's really good at figuring out your threshold). The work that is required to answer any given question is rarely all that difficult, although you might have to do a lot of little steps to answer a given question.

Perhaps yoga would be beneficial. For now, focus on all the questions that you can reasonably get correct - stay organized, do all the work on the pad and let's see how your score improves. All of the other issues (pacing, endurance, dealing with tougher questions) will improve with time, so don't get hung up on anything that feels too difficult right now. You have to deliver on those doable questions - too many silly mistakes will kill anyone.

Rich

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:09 pm
So finishing 10 min and 13 min early in Quant and Verbal respectively is actually NOT a good thing (which is odd, right, because we'd assume finishing early would be good!). Ideally, you want to take ALL the time -- clicking in your last answer with 30 seconds on the clock. THAT is good GMAT time management. This will ensure you're really maximizing the time you're spending on each question.

Here's the benchmarks I'd suggest you have in front of you and follow for your next CAT exams. It's vital to be roughly around these questions during the appropriate times. This will tell you if you're moving too quickly or too slowly.

My questions:

1) what materials were you using the 1st go-round? I'd highly suggest getting MGMAT SC, MGMAT NP, and the OG if you didn't cover those already. They're pretty vital to a 600+

2) what strategies were you using for each of the 5 Q-types: RC, SC, CR, DS, and PS? Do you change your approach for DS "value" versus DS "y/n" questions? How do you change your approach for a CR Assumption versus a CR Bolded Statement question? When do you use "that" versus "which" in SC? If you can't really answer these questions, then strategy is a HUGE reason you scored poorly.

To REALLY get a 600+, you need to master pacing (for you, this will merely be slowly down and maximizing timing and should be do-able), use and practice excellent strategies for ALL q-types (you may need to work on a tutor for this), and start learning to recognize WHAT a question is testing by matching concepts to questions. You can read a bit more about Content, Strategy, and Pacing (I like to think of them as the GMAT trifecta!) on my site: https://gmatrockstar.com/online-gmat-tutor/

I'd recommend you work backwards from your Test Date and set up a realistic, effective study plan. ASAP.
Attachments
PacingBenchmarks.png
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by Jigglypuffman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm aware we can take the exam more than once.

Yes I have to do a lot of little steps to answer the questions. I think that's where I may need improvement on. My guess is that I should be more organize in my studying so I know where my what my weak points are. Lately I brushed up on basic grammar concepts such as antecedents, when vs where, and relative pronouns. And I've done well on the basic sentence correction problems.

Right now I feel like I need to do more work on classifying quantitative problems and setting up steps to solve the problems.

by Jigglypuffman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am
Hi VivianKerr,

Thank you for your reply. I feel the time management is another factor in my low score. I want to take all the time for problems. It's a like a quality vs quantity concept haha.

And for your questions...

1) I had a the Manhattan GMAT 10 book study guide, 6 Manhattan GMAT practice exams, and a 400 question pack from the GMATPrep software. I did the problems in the book, but did not really account for my timings.

2) RC- I read the entries and took little notes. I wrote ABCDE and crossed out wrong choices

SC- I wrote ABCDE and crossed out wrong choices. I read each choice and tried to understand the author's intentions (plural/singular,past participle, antecedents, and ect.) I am still working on "that" vs "which".

CR- I wrote ABCDE and crossed out wrong choices. I took notes as well to understand the full meanings.

DS- Yes, I did change my approach for DS "value" and "y/n". I looked to see if the exam was asking for a specific value or a yes/no value.
I did the cross out AD for Statement 1 and BCE for statement 2 strategy.

AD
BCE

PS- I tried to classify the problems to see how to approach them. I may need more work in this.

Is the "that" vs "which" a big factor in the SC?!

But yes, I do need to master my pacing. It's a big factor in the GMAT.