OG Containing Own SC Mistakes in non-SC Sections?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Quantitative Review, 2nd Ed, #154 of Data Sufficiency:

"A survey of employers found that during 1993 employment costs rose 3.5 percent, where employment costs consist of salary cost and fringe benefit costs..."

Doesn't the sentence contain a modifier error? Shouldn't it be, "..3.5 percent, in which employment costs..?"

I've been seeing a lot of similar SC errors (usually with respect to modifiers) in other sections (CR, RC, and Quant). Can someone shed light on this?
Last edited by francoimps on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 pm
Hi fancoimps,

Your SC skills are clearly strong (or getting stronger), since you're spotting these grammar errors in the non-SC sections of the OG. In non-SC prompts, the GMAT sometimes uses "conversational"-English (you'll see this on Test Day too). It's not done with any malice - it's just to make the instructions and questions a little easier to read. Since most English-speakers don't typically speak in a grammatically-accurate fashion, it also makes the GMAT a bit less sophisticated of an exam for the general Test Taker.

It can certainly make the process of learning English grammar a bit more difficult, but it's all a standard part of the Exam, so you have to work around these minor grammar issues.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by francoimps » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi fancoimps,

Your SC skills are clearly strong (or getting stronger), since you're spotting these grammar errors in the non-SC sections of the OG. In non-SC prompts, the GMAT sometimes uses "conversational"-English (you'll see this on Test Day too). It's not done with any malice - it's just to make the instructions and questions a little easier to read. Since most English-speakers don't typically speak in a grammatically-accurate fashion, it also makes the GMAT a bit less sophisticated of an exam for the general Test Taker.

It can certainly make the process of learning English grammar a bit more difficult, but it's all a standard part of the Exam, so you have to work around these minor grammar issues.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Oh! Thank you for the reply, Rich. I needed this.

I was actually starting to doubt already whether the SC rules i've learned through the GMAT prep companies were inaccurate or were missing out on important exceptions/nuances to certain rules.

Thanks once again.

Franco