Top 25 B-School Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Top 25 B-School Profile Evaluation

by southernusa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:23 pm
Hello,
Please evaluate my profile. I am aiming for a top 25 B-School. Considering that I have been out of college for 10 years, is there anything else I can do to make myself more competitive other than having a 720+ GMAT score?

Academics: Undergrad (small HBCU): 3.0 cum/3.5 in major (criminal justice major - business minor)

Undergrad extracurricular: 10-15 hours per week plus a part time job that I alternated with my own cosmetology business during school (hair/nails) 25+ clients.

Undergrad Leadership/Activities: marching band, peer counselor, sorority leadership team, mentor/tutor to underpriviledged kids, homecoming queen runner up.

Demographic: African-American - first in my family to graduate from college.

Total years of work experience: 10 years
Grad School: 2002 University of Phoenix - MBA classes taken but didn't like the school...took accounting, got an A - maintained a 4.0
Pre MBA Job: Human Resources/Recruiting - Fortune 50 company
Management Experience: 1 year
Post MBA: Media/Entertainment

Current Extracurricular: 10+ hours per week. Board of Directors for Youth Development Organization, Affiliated with other professional organizations.

Applying Round 2
Visiting all schools below in person during diversity weekend
Age at time of Enrollment: Fall 2009 - 34
GMAT: Aiming for 720 (taking in October)
Recommendation Letters: Current and Former Bosses from Fortune 50 company. Current boss is enrolled in a top 30 B-School MBA Program and is also in HR.

Schools: HBS, Stanford, University of GA, Emory

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:56 pm
Your profile looks good. If your GMAT score is in the 700+ range then you will be a competitive candidate. It also helps that you did well in your MBA classwork at U of Ph. Your application is evaluated based not only on your GMAT and GPA but also on your essays, LORs, and work experience. You mentioned that you have 10 years of experience but only one in management. Be sure to discuss your career growth (whether through promotions or increased responsibility) over those ten years. Harvard values leadership so you want to show that you can step up to the plate.

Your extracurricular experience is important too because it shows that you are a well rounded individual. Pull from that experience as appropriate to show your uniqueness, innovation, and leadership.

Lastly, make the most of the diversity events. They provide a great opportunity to learn about the schools. But remember that you are being evaluated while you are there, even in informal settings. Current students will try to determine whether or not you are someone they could work with/learn from as a classmate. While they don't ultimately decide who gets admitted, their approval can't hurt. Best of luck!
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by southernusa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 pm
Thank you!!