Choosing Recommenders

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Choosing Recommenders

by nm1158 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:56 pm
Hi guys,

Wanted some advice on which recommenders to choose.
I've been working at my current firm for a year and a half but I don't think I can ask any of my managers to write my recommendation and I'd like to keep the application a secret at work, hence, I'm trying to get creative. Do you think the following people would be good recommenders?

1. Debate Coach
Last semester in college (2011), I joined the NYU debate team. The coach and I had a great relationship, he asked me to come back and coach the beginners after I graduated. Debate required a lot of travel so I couldn't do it for more than a semester, after which, he offered me the position of TA at NYU's debate class. I did start teaching with him (about 2 classes) when administration said I couldn't have two jobs on my current visa so I had to stop. Since then, I haven't been involved in debate, but he asks me to come judge tournaments once in a while. We still have a great relationship and he could write me a good recommendation but I'm concerned my direct involvement isn't recent enough. (?)

2. Client
He used to work at the company I am at right now but he moved over to the client side and I now work with him as a client. My only concern is would news somehow seep from him to my management who I am not imforming of my MBA plans

3. Co-worker
He worked in the same company as me at my previous job and my current job. It was due to his reference that I got my current job, but he left the company a few months in. My concerns are it's been about a year that we have not been working together and he was not working with me as a manager but as a co-worker.

4. Old Manager
I could reach out to two of my old managers - but it has been a year and a half since I left that company

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:15 am
Hi nm1158,
In general, schools are looking for recommenders who know the candidate very well, on the basis of an experience that is:
- As long as possible.
- As intense as possible.
- Experience that is preferably work-related.

Some important guidelines:
1. The level of excitement that the recommender demonstrates, and the reasons for this excitement (supporting examples), are most important.
2. The longer and more intense the acquaintance is, the better.
3. Recommendations that describe the candidate's background in the exact same industry name mentioned in the career plan are preferred.

For more tips and guidelines regarding recommender selection:
https://www.aringo.com/MBA_Recommendations_Process.htm
Good luck!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by TarunaSaini » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 am
Hi nm1158,

You should keep in mind the following pointers while selecting a recommender

1. The more closely the recommender has worked with you the better.
2. He should be able to hi-light your skills, qualities and work ethics.
3. As mentioned before work related association is preferable.

Below article was helpful to me while selecting recommenders, hopefully it will answer some of your queries.
https://www.usnews.com/education/article ... mmendation

All the Best!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by TarunaSaini » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 am
Hi nm1158,

You should keep in mind the following pointers while selecting a recommender

1. The more closely the recommender has worked with you the better.
2. He should be able to hi-light your skills, qualities and work ethics.
3. As mentioned before work related association is preferable.

Below article was helpful to me while selecting recommenders, hopefully it will answer some of your queries.
https://www.usnews.com/education/article ... mmendation

All the Best!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Dina@Fortuna » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:59 pm
If you're still looking for tips on who to select as your recommender, check out the latest Fortuna Admissions blog on this topic:
https://fortunaadmissions.com/recommenda ... ge-matter/
Dina Glasofer | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website