What to do next? Two weeks from the test

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What to do next? Two weeks from the test

by brunoselva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:50 pm
Hi,

I am studying for 3 months and my target score is 700+. My first CAT was 580 and I have improved a lot since then on the Gmat Prep tests, but not on MGMAT CATs.

I have completed all the OG questions, retried all that I missed and finished all the Manhattan Verbal books. I also did 10 CATs (MGMAT range 580 - 630, others 650 - 700).

I always do the AWA section, I do the test without pausing and I respect the interval time.

My last Cat scores were:
Gmat Prep #1 (May 18th): 700 - Q47 V39 - 700 IR 6.5
MGMAT #4 (May 25th): 580 - Q38 V32 - 580 no IR
MGMAT #5 (June 21): 630 - Q42 V34 - no IR *extra 15 minutes
Gmat Prep #3 (June 29th): 700 - Q45 V40 - 700 IR 7

Since all my MGMAT Cat scores were way lower than the Gmat prep scores, I made an experiment, maybe a mistake, but I tried the MGMAT #5 with 15 extra minutes on each section. I thought that the questions were too hard and I could be having time issues, so I wondered if I could get any better with extra time. I learned that not and I won't do that again.

I tried to analise the results, but I can't explain why my grades are lower on the MGMAT. Also, I don't know why I got so many hard questions on the verbal section and a low score.

Verbal
I got 35 (24 correct) from the 41 questions with 700-800 difficulty and 6 (4 correct) with 600 - 700.
Wrong questions: 9 SC, 7 CR, 3 RC

SC is my weakness, I finish those kind of questions within 1:30 to 1:45 minutes no matter if I get it right or wrong. On RC questions I spend I little bit more time than the average, but mostly right.

From the time perspective, I learned that I must be aware of witch kind of questions I should guess, because extra time didn't get me a better score. Anyway, most of my mistakes, 11 from 19, were on questions answered within 1:20 to 2:00 minutes.

Quant
On the math section, only 4 questions were 700-800 and I missed all. I got 20 questions bellow 2:00 minutes, most of them right. And above 2:00 minutes I missed almost 50%. My DS and PS hit rate is the same.

That is a surprise for me, because on all 4 Gmat Prep and a Veritas Cat that I tried, I got more than 46 points on the Quant section.

I can't figure out a difficulty on any specific Math topic, I know that I am struggling on very hard problems.

The MGMAT CATs are really helpful with the explanations. I could learn a lot with the questions that I reviewed but I am worried about my performance. My test will be in 17 days and I don't know what I should focus now.

Can anyone help me with a diagnosis and what should I do on the next 2 weeks?

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:18 am
Hi brunoselva,

You listed your last 4 CATs, but I'm curious about the first 6. Which "brand" were they and how did you score on each. Did you end up retaking any of the GMATPrep CATs?

As you've reviewed these most recent CATs, have you kept track of WHY you were getting questions wrong? How often is it because of a silly mistake, how often is it because of content (e.g. you couldn't remember a specific formula or grammar rule that was required) and how often was it because the question was too hard?

The GMAT does NOT give you a score based solely on the number of correct answers, so you can't think in those terms (some of your questions on Test Day are experimental, so they don't count at all). The immediate issue is the silly mistakes and all of the 50/50s in Verbal (those questions in which you narrowed it down to 2 choices but still chose the wrong answer). If you have a pacing problem and have to either guess on a bunch of questions at the end of the section or don't get to those questions at all, then that's another issue worth working on.

With the limited time that you have left, I'd suggest putting in some extra time on the Quant material (your Verbal performance, by comparison, appears to be stronger). Look at the BIG categories: DS, Algebra, Arithmetic, Number Properties, then work on everything else on down to the rarer categories.

You should take no more than 1 CAT/week. Most of your time should be spent on review.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:23 pm
Hey Bruno,

Since extra time did not yield better results for you, that points out a strategy issue. HOW are you approaching each question-type, especially for Verbal??

Here's what I'd suggest you do for SC:

Step 1 - Read Choice (A) and Identify One Grammar or Meaning Error

Since we know that a sentence with a grammatical error or an illogical meaning can NEVER be correct on the GMAT, try to identify and name ONE specific error you see. It may seem like there are several things "wrong" with the sentence, so choose the error you feel the most confident about, and write it down on your scratch paper. For example, maybe you think the meaning might be illogical, the sentence overall is awkwardly constructed, and there is an incorrect comparison. You might choose to go with the comparison error first.

What if there is no error in (A)? If (A) seems correct to you, or you cannot spot a grammar or meaning error, feel free to search for a style error. If you feel there is one, such as redundancy or passive voice, make a note of it next to letter "A" on your scratch pad, but DO NOT CROSS IT OFF YET. Remember, a style error doesn't make an option automatically incorrect. It only makes it less likely to be correct. Once you've done this, move on to (B) and look for an identifiable grammar or meaning error. If (A) is correct, then (B) must contain an error.

Step 2 - Scan the Other Choices; Eliminate Error #1

Do any of the other 4 choices contain that same error? If so, quickly cross out

Step 3 - Move to the Next Available Choice; Look for Error #2

If you have more than one choice left, repeat the process. Move to the next choice remaining and look for an identifiable grammar or meaning error. If none exists, feel free to look for a style error and make a note of it next to the letter on your scratch pad. Once you've identified a grammar or meaning error, cross off the letter of that answer choice, and the letters of any other answer choices that contain the same error. Repeat as needed.

Step 4 - Stuck Between Two? Eliminate Based on Style

On a difficult Sentence Correction, you may find yourself narrowed down to two answer choices that both seem grammatically correct and both have logical meanings. Which one does the GMAT prefer? The answer: the clearest, most concise option. If one choice appears to have awkwardness or wordiness or passive voice, select the other option. All grammar being equal, the GMAT rewards clarity.

You can see how I attack questions with this process here: https://gmatrockstar.com/category/gmat-verbal/. Let me know if I can help you with your CR or RC strategy as well! You can still boost your abilities in 2 weeks!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by brunoselva » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:29 pm
Thank you Rich and Vivian,

Your advices makes totally sense and I know that are small details that will make the difference at this point. I'll focus on those points on Quant and try a new strategy on the SC.

I made another MGMAT Cat (#6) simulating the official test yesterday and analyzed within your comments.
Results: V41 Q37 650

Correct vs Total
PS 11/22
DS 8/15
SC 8/15
CR 11/14
RC 8/12

On the Quant section, I made silly mistakes on 6 questions, most of them because I didn't pay attention on some detail of the question. I also spent more than 2:30 minutes on 11 questions, 7 of them I got wrong. I think the quant level on the MGMAT is a lot higher, I don't make those mistakes on the GMAT Prep.
Issues on rates, remainder, combinatories and even/odd DS.

However on the Verbal Section, I just had one error from attention fault and I spent more time on just 4 questions. Most of my mistakes are on SC and for conceptual reasons. For example I know how parallel structure works, but most of the time I think is to hard to understand the structures on the sentences. I noticed that I always have problems with long sentences with diverse construction. I didn't had a clear point of decision on the questions that I had most difficulty. Maybe would be important to me to have a couple hours of tutoring on SC.

CATs Hisotry:
Gmat Prep #1 (Feb 2th): 580 - Q42 V28 Full length, no review
MGMAT #1 (Apr 21th): 610 - Q40 V34
Veritas #1 (Apr 25th): 680 - Q47 V37
Gmat Prep #2 (May 4th): 650 - Q47 V33
MGMAT #3 (May 13th): 580 - Q40 V30
Gmat Prep #1 (May 18th): 700 - Q47 V39 IR 6.5 retake
MGMAT #4 (May 25th): 580 - Q38 V32 no IR
MGMAT #5 (June 21th): 630 - Q42 V34 no IR *extra 15 minutes
Gmat Prep #3 (June 29th): 700 - Q45 V40 - 700 IR 7 Full length
MGMAT #6 (July 5th): 650 - Q42 V37 Full length

Last Assessment

https://tinypic.com/r/qz0k8l/8

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:23 pm
HI brunoselva,

We have to ignore the "retake", since that Test would have included some questions that you had previously answered (this led to an unrealistic experience and a score that was likely "inflated"). Your most recent CAT score falls in the range of your other CATs. Considering all the information, it looks like your Quant Scaled Scores are inconsistent. To score 700+, you're going to have score at a higher level in the Quant.

You identified a number of silly mistakes, which is an area that you have to "fix." Silly mistakes tend to kill Test Takers. Usually, silly mistakes are based on some dis-organized (or lack of) work on your part. Keep those silly mistakes from happening and you'll earn that higher score. Your Quant Scaled Scores also point out that you're probably using more of a "math approach" than a "strategy approach"; thinking more on a strategic level will likely help you to pick up those points.

You're remarkably close to scoring 700+, but you have to remember that the GMAT will give you the score that you EARN. Make sure that you're doing what it takes to earn those points and you'll get there.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm
Hey Bruno,

Great! Since you mentioned some of these minor errors, I'd suggest you go back through your most recent 2-3 practice tests and do a thorough error log. You need to classify the precise reason you got each question incorrect, rather than generalizing by saying a "conception error" or "silly mistake" -- get VERY, VERY specific. You might find the attached template helpful.

Let me know if you need any more SC strategy advice! Be sure to only go ONE error at a time and make good use of your scratch paper!
Attachments
Error Log Template.xlsx
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)