Serious timing issues

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Serious timing issues

by Slewis2002 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:49 am
Hi all,

I have been studying for 4 months now and have less than a month until my exam (21 July). I spent the first 6 weeks understanding the GMAT and going through the Kaplan Premier book to cover all of the material. A month ago I signed up to the EMPOWERGMAT 2 month study plan which gave some much needed structure with my studying. My exam scores have steadily increased but are still quite erratic. My target score is 710 (targeting the top European Biz Schools) so I still have a lot of work to do in three weeks.

Practice tests:
01/03/2014 GMAT Prep 1 560 (Q40, V27)
28/03/2014 GMAT Prep 2 600 (Q39, V34)
13/04/2014 Kaplan CAT 1 640 (Q49, V39)
08/05/2014 Kaplan CAT 2 580 (Q44, V26)
10/05/2014 Kaplan CAT 3 640 (Q47, V34)
08/06/2014 MGMAT CAT 1 620 (Q43, V32)
14/06/2015 MGMAT CAT 2 600 (Q36, V35)
21/06/2014 MGMAT CAT 3 590 (Q38, V34)
29/06/2015 MGMAT CAT 4 660 (Q44, V36)

As you can see, my Verbal has improved. This is mainly through improvement in SC (I was terrible at the start but the Empower GMAT course has helped me smash this section - I know get ~90% of SC correct!) with the remainder of EGMAT course I am confident I can also improve targeted areas of RC and CR.

My main problem now is the quant. I majored in physics and I am quite confident with all of the quant concepts and usually answer 70-80% of questions during study time correctly. However, during the actual practice tests I buckle under pressure and my timing goes completely out of the window. I rarely answer any question under 2 minutes which means I end up guessing the last 6-8 questions. As as a "quant" person I think I struggle to apply the timing saving techniques (such as recognising shortcuts, "test it", and which questions should be triaged) and revert back to my detailed analytic nature, but this is killing my score!!

Does anybody have any advice that will help with my quant timing issue? I am willing to pay for a tutor but do you think this will be helpful for this issue?

Any help much appreciated guys!!

Thanks,

Sophie

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:09 am
Hey Sophie...

1) Use options and start using elimination technique in PS questions

2) In DS questions, start proving that given statements are insufficient and you will end up getting the right answers.

3) Start Plugging-in Numbers alongwith using Algebraic concept application because when both techniques are used together then the speeds improves drastically.

4) make two targets i.e. finish 30 questions in 60 Mins and solve last 7 questions in 15 mins so that in case you make mistakes due to time constraint then they are concentrated in between the start and end.

For any other test related techniques please feel free to get in touch. You can take a free demo and discuss your doubts and techniques to be involved to save time.

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:22 pm
Hi Sophie,

I sent you a private message with some specific suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jbotero08 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:01 pm
Hi Rich and Sophie do you mind sharing timing strategies? I'm predicament close to hers.

My first official GMATPrep Test was a 690 with Q46 and V39. I got the last 9 questions in the back of the Q section wrong because of timing issues. I know that if I had been better with time I could be pushing 50+ on the Q and therefore getting my close to goal of a 730-750. I ended with 15 questions wrong in the section meaning that I know I'm answering hard questions but timing is my weakness.

How do I improve!?

I know that with better timing I can really improve my score

My timing for verbal is fine, in fact, I finished the early. So I'm not worried about that.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 am
Hey Sophie,

So my first question is, are you using benchmarks as you take practice CATs and regular check in with them? We know that a big component of the GMAT is pacing. In order for our score to stay on track, WE MUST be willing to guess as needed. That means following close benchmarks. I attached my pacing rec.

In terms of "shortcuts" and shaving seconds off for Quant, there's really only three things you can do:

1) know your weaknesses in Content better
2) know how to Backsolve and Pick Numbers so you're flexible with HOW you solve
3) know what types of questions are time-vampires (for you specifically) and guess on those

I'd recommend guessing on no more than 2-3 questions on your actual GMAT exam if you're aiming for a high score, but you can still get a LOT of questions correct and stay on track by doing this.

For 1) you've got to keep an Error Log for all your practice CATs. You need to classify incorrect questions by concept and identify the ones you get wrong the most often so you can focus your studies

For 2) there's a TON of great free material online that can show you how to use both strategies. You can definitely work with a tutor, but esp. on Word Problems you can prob figure this out on your own.

For 3), are you regularly doing pacing drills in between practice tests? Do you fall apart on DS or PS the most often? If it's DS, is Y/N or Value questions the bigger time-waters? GET SPECIFIC!

Good luck!
Attachments
PacingBenchmarks.png
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)