Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation request

by rahulmathur9818 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:51 am
Hi,

-27 y/o Indian Male

-GMAT 710 (Q 81, V 88).....think I can improve this by 20-30 points atleast

-Graduated in 2008 from a business school in UK with a degree in accounting and finance. Topped my degree in year one. Ended up with an upper 2.1 degree.

-planned on working in UK itself in order to get some international work ex but had to move back to India because of my fathers death (3 weeks after final term). Had to take care of family affairs so moved back.

-working in the business development division of a firm with interests across hydropower, textiles and education. Have worked across all 3 sectors. Currently leading a team in implementing the expansion/diversification of the education vertical. The idea for diversification was my brainchild. I'm the youngest at the firm at a senior managerial role.

-short term goal is to make a transition to a top tier management consulting firm and work in new geographies (outside of India). Long term goal is to move back to India and start my own boutique consultancy.

-Extra curricular: work with one of the most prominent environmental NGO in the country. Having lost my father to blood cancer I have organized blood donation camps as its a cause near my heart. Redrafted and implemented the corporate social responsibility charter at the firm with a focus on sanitation for the poor and improving female financial literacy.

-Target schools- Insead, Kellogg, Booth, Darden, LBS, Cornell and Yale (please feel free to suggest any others)

Also should I apply to INSEAD for the Jan 2015 intake in R3 or wait for the next application cycle to begin at Insead?

Thanks for taking time out and helping people out here. Really appreciate it.

Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:58 pm
Hi rahulmathur9818,

Thank you for your post! Overall, you should be a competitive candidate.
Let's start by looking at your academics. As an Indian applicant, the fact that you pursued a degree in the UK will help you stand out. A 2.1 is a solid GPA; however, while the top schools see a fair number of applications from candidates who have attended undergraduate institutions in the UK, you should keep in mind that American adcom members are more accustomed to the 4.0 scale and that some may not be familiar with your undergraduate institution's grading system. Accordingly, class rank will be an important consideration in evaluating academic performance.

In regards to your work experience, it looks like you have a lot of potential leadership experience to highlight. The diversity of industries you focus on should also help you stand out. Overall, I can see your work experience being a strength of your profile-provided you can quantify your impact. You (or a recommender) will also want to note how you've progressed to a senior level role-this is just the kind of upward career trajectory the adcoms will love to see.

As for your goals, consulting is a fairly standard post-MBA path, and one that the adcom will view as realistic; however, you will need to be very specific about your plans within this field in order to stand out from the many other applicants who are telling a similar story. One way to go about this is to do some more research on the firms for which you would like to work. Like business schools, consulting firms have varying strengths and weaknesses, as well as different cultures. You should research different firms and decide which two would be the best fit for you.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. Your mission with the NGO will certainly give the adcom warm insights into your compassion and character.

Given your interest in consulting, you may also look into Duke / Fuqua and MIT / Sloan. In terms of when to apply, it's generally best to submit strong applications in Round 1 or Round 2. Typically, later rounds are more competitive simply because there are fewer remaining spots to fill. Overall, I can see you presenting competitive applications. If you'd like to discuss your choice of schools and candidacy further, please contact us directly: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.