Concerns regarding H1-B Visa Cap

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Concerns regarding H1-B Visa Cap

by AbhiJ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:23 am
Hi Everyone,

I was having a conversation with one of my friend who is working in US.
He was very bearish regarding the hurdles posed by H1-B Visa cap. Basically this year there were 60,000 H1-B Visa offered for which there 180,000 applications. He did not got lucky this time. He is on STEM extension so he has got another chance next year.

For MBA graduates with 100, 000 USD loans there are no second chances(no STEM extension). For internationals is it not a big gamble or am I missing something ?

Thanks
AbhiJ

by AbhiJ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:09 am
Any consultants out there with any insights ?

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:06 am
Dear AbhiJ,
We are no experts regarding visas... but maybe this page can help: https://www.aringo.com/ClientInfo/Visas.htm

by AbhiJ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:58 am
Not expecting Consultants to have insights regarding VISA process.
Would like to believe that Admission Consultants keep in touch with Admitted students regarding their career outcomes. Else how could they advice applicants regarding best schools for the goals !
Given the response in this forum it seems that Admission Consultants are only knowledgeable in getting students admitted.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ahmed2502 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:34 pm
Hi Abhi,

I am no expert, but I know a great deal about US visas. I have applied different kind of visas for last 4 years (B1, L1A, L1B, H1B) but have got none. :)
Post MBA you are eligible for 12 months of OPT and then H1B Visa. To be qualified for OPT, you need to get a job within 3 months and in the field related to your study.

So during your OPT or placements, you need to ensure that your employer will sponsor H1B visa for you. Generally employers sponsor, but for limited quota - applications are rejected.
Total of 85,000 H1B visas are issued each year, of which 20K are reserved for US degree holders, 5K for Singapore nationals and 60K for general. If USCIS receives more applications in 1st week than the available quota then a lottery is conducted and your chances are as good as your luck. From past 2 years, USCIS is conducting lottery and the trend will continue for next few years - Thanks to Indian IT companies.

Your figures are correct. Since the course fees are very high, do not take huge loan for MBA. The $$ amount involved is excessively high to gamble and you can never pay back with your Indian salary. So take an informed decision before you get in.

Regards!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:38 pm
The 20,000 Advanced-Degree Cap Exemption is key in that I do not know if that number has been exceeded.

There is an "apples and oranges" element in that the vast majority of H1B visas are given to technical applicants, not MBA graduates. Here is a list of top H1B companies of which the top 9 have Primary Employment Bases in India (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa). We would need to know more granularly if firms like McKinsey, Goldman Sachs, etc. are unable to hire international MBA graduates because of H1B Visa restrictions. Historically, economic conditions caused slumps in international post-MBA employment, but not the availability of H1B visas. Firms like McKinsey invest so much into their employees, that they often sponsor them for green cards (https://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Sponsor/ ... 346074.htm). The table shows that McKinsey has only had 9 H1B applicants denied out of 515 applicants. I am sure Wipro or Infosys have a higher rejection rate.

Here is an article from 2007 about the 20,000 cap being hit later - https://www.businessweek.com/stories/200 ... ial-advice

I hope this helps ease your concerns.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.