Struggling with GMAT: Scores dropping

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Struggling with GMAT: Scores dropping

by avanti@gmat » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:41 am
Hello, I have been practicing for the GMAT since last 3months and attempted for GMAT prep tests and MGMATs and my score has been dropping.

Books Used:
OG 13
Manhattan verbal books(RC,CR AND SC)

Following are my scores:
1) GMAT PREP 1: 490( Q 42, V 16)
2) MGMAT CAT 1: 590( Q 44, V 29)
3) GMAT PREP 2: 530( Q 44, V 20)
4) MGMAT CAT 2: 570( Q 42, V 27)
5) GMAT PREP(retake): 610( Q 46, V 28)
6) MGMAT CAT 3: 530( Q 37, V 27)
I dnt understand where m going wrong. plz suggest me what shud i do further. My exam is scheduled on 25th july'14.Also suggest some books to practice for quants as well as verbal.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 am
Hi Avanti,

First thing is Only taking test isn't sufficient... You MUST do an intense analysis of the mistakes you made in the test that you took because the maximum learning is done during analysis.

Second, MGMAT provide scores on very conservative side however GMAT prep is the best tool to assess you present level

Third, Looking at your score in both the sections I feel that there is more scope of improvement in Verbal section than in Quant. In General for Indians QUant score of 47 is pretty much in range for an average test taker and Verbal score of 30 also is pretty much achievable therefore even If I don't look for very ambitious score then I can suggest that there is good scope of improvement only if you use the right content material with right direction to use it.

Having done everything is not sufficient because the time and energy that you have already put in seems considerable to get a better score. I suggest that you should try working on some basic rules of Sentence correction and Critical reasoning that will certainly boost your score as RC takes time for improvement as the accuracy only isn't require but you need to have a good speed as well.

In case you are looking for a score like 700 then my honest suggestion is that you must take expert guidance and try postponing the test date as well, if needed, which looks pretty much required at this stage.

You can have an expert opinion about your area of improvement and scope of improvement with the best faculty available for FREE and you just have to contact us.

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:56 am
Since MGMAT and GMATPrep score their practice CATs separately, we can't really equate the scores. A "600" on a MGMAT CAT is not necessarily a "600" on the GMATPrep.

On your GMAT Prep's you went from a 490 to a 530 to a 610 (re-take), which is very encouraging!

So your scores HAVE improved, which is great, just not as much as you'd like.

Your Quant seems the more stagnant, so I think you need to review and analyze what questions you're getting incorrect the most often (have you been keeping an Error Log) and then choose materials accordingly. The MGMAT Number Prep is an obvious choice, but if you're getting Word Probs wrong, you might want to hit the Veritas Word Prob book, or spend time with Coordinate Geo. It really depends on what types of problems you're missing (and, more importantly, why).

I would suggest you purchase GMATprep 3 and 4 from mba.com and take the GMATPrep 3 next. It's pretty brutal, but use it to create an error log and get serious about tracking your mistakes. It will also give you a realistic snapshot of your GMAT score TODAY.

Re: Verbal. I'd focus the majority of your attention here. You said you did the MGMAT Verbal books, so again, how well do you know those SC concepts? When do you use "that" versus "which"? What are three types of Pronoun errors commonly tested? What words are "countable" or "uncountable"? You get my drift. Again, work on an Error Log so you can diagnose what you don't know.

Next Step: Strategy. Especially for CR and RC, you've GOT to find a way of breaking down these passages, using your scratch paper to THINK ON YOUR OWN and ask yourself questions as you read. Then analyze the questions, put them in your own words, and ANSWER THEM ON YOUR SCRATCH PAPER. Do this before you read the answer choices. You've got to develop this ability, and use process of elimination to whittle away incorrect choices based on what you anticipate the correct answer to look like or "do". I'd say this is probably the thing that's hurting you the most in Verbal. You may need to work with a tutor to develop these skills.

To start, I'd refresh ALL the CR and RC question types and for practice "label" the questions you practice with by question-type (RC: "Detail," "Function," "Main Idea," etc). Even that will be a big step up!

Good luck!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:59 am
OG 13 is not sufficient exercise for Quant practice as the level of the questions is much moderate and doesn't tough the difficult level that you have to mess with for improving the score. There is a lot that one is expected to practice for improving in Quant and the same is true for Verbal.

You must go through the examples and explanation of those questions from even older versions of Official Guides to have better understanding of question and more exposure with questions of various difficulty level.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:52 am
Hi avanti.radke,

It sounds like you've been self-studying with just books, which is probably part of the reason why you're not improving as much as you'd like. Many Test Takers get "stuck" because they're still trying to do things "their way" (instead of learning new tactics).

I'm hoping that you can answer a few additional questions about your situation and plans:

1) What is your score goal?
2) What schools do you want to apply to? And when do you want to apply?
3) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (or did you ever skip the Essay and/or IR sections?)?
4) Can you push your Test Date back, if needed?

Based on your Scaled Scores, you clearly need some extra practice on the Verbal side of this Test. You might find it helpful to invest in some new GMAT resources that will teach you the tactics needed to improve in the Verbal section (it's worth noting that there are points to be gained in the Quant too).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by avanti@gmat » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 am
[quote]Hi avanti.radke,

It sounds like you've been self-studying with just books, which is probably part of the reason why you're not improving as much as you'd like. Many Test Takers get "stuck" because they're still trying to do things "their way" (instead of learning new tactics).

I'm hoping that you can answer a few additional questions about your situation and plans:

1) What is your score goal?
2) What schools do you want to apply to? And when do you want to apply?
3) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (or did you ever skip the Essay and/or IR sections?)?
4) Can you push your Test Date back, if needed?

Based on your Scaled Scores, you clearly need some extra practice on the Verbal side of this Test. You might find it helpful to invest in some new GMAT resources that will teach you the tactics needed to improve in the Verbal section (it's worth noting that there are points to be gained in the Quant too).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
[/quote]

Hi rich,
regading your query
1) Score goal:720
2) School: ISB, Hyderabad; deadline:cycle 1:15 sept and cycle 2:30 nov
3) took 3 cats without essay
4) not flexible with the date

by avanti@gmat » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:26 am
[quote="VivianKerr"]Since MGMAT and GMATPrep score their practice CATs separately, we can't really equate the scores. A "600" on a MGMAT CAT is not necessarily a "600" on the GMATPrep.

On your GMAT Prep's you went from a 490 to a 530 to a 610 (re-take), which is very encouraging!

So your scores HAVE improved, which is great, just not as much as you'd like.

Your Quant seems the more stagnant, so I think you need to review and analyze what questions you're getting incorrect the most often (have you been keeping an Error Log) and then choose materials accordingly. The MGMAT Number Prep is an obvious choice, but if you're getting Word Probs wrong, you might want to hit the Veritas Word Prob book, or spend time with Coordinate Geo. It really depends on what types of problems you're missing (and, more importantly, why).

I would suggest you purchase GMATprep 3 and 4 from mba.com and take the GMATPrep 3 next. It's pretty brutal, but use it to create an error log and get serious about tracking your mistakes. It will also give you a realistic snapshot of your GMAT score TODAY.

Re: Verbal. I'd focus the majority of your attention here. You said you did the MGMAT Verbal books, so again, how well do you know those SC concepts? When do you use "that" versus "which"? What are three types of Pronoun errors commonly tested? What words are "countable" or "uncountable"? You get my drift. Again, work on an Error Log so you can diagnose what you don't know.

Next Step: Strategy. Especially for CR and RC, you've GOT to find a way of breaking down these passages, using your scratch paper to THINK ON YOUR OWN and ask yourself questions as you read. Then analyze the questions, put them in your own words, and ANSWER THEM ON YOUR SCRATCH PAPER. Do this before you read the answer choices. You've got to develop this ability, and use process of elimination to whittle away incorrect choices based on what you anticipate the correct answer to look like or "do". I'd say this is probably the thing that's hurting you the most in Verbal. You may need to work with a tutor to develop these skills.

To start, I'd refresh ALL the CR and RC question types and for practice "label" the questions you practice with by question-type (RC: "Detail," "Function," "Main Idea," etc). Even that will be a big step up!

Good luck![/quote]

Hi,
I went through a review of my MCATs and found low accuray(< or = 50%) in the following areas:
Quants:
Word problems and geomety

Verbal:
Reasoning(33% only)

All other topics have accuracy @ 70%
Which books/online que would you suggest for the much needed practice considering the time left?
Also I can study for the complete day.