need some clarification on Age for US b-school application

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Hi Clear Admit Consultants,,
I'd like to know whether applying to US schools(both top 10 and top 20) for 2 year full-time MBA at 29 (during R1/R2 of that application year and hence 30 at matriculation) would be considered a disadvantage/hindrance to my candidacy ?

Would much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:17 pm
Hi RBBmba@2014,

Thanks for your post!

The average applicant to a top business school program is 27-28 years of age and has amassed 4-6 years of full-time work experience since graduating from college, taking on progressively more responsibility over time. There are some risks associated with being an 'older applicant,' i.e. 30+; however, you may consider the following in addressing those potential risks.

If you have worked across several industries, the adcom may worry this indicates a lack of focus. If you have held long tenure in a single industry, this may be seen as indicative of resistance to learning new skills. They may also be concerned that you would be less likely to be active outside the classroom, given that the majority of your classmates will be significantly younger than you. So, you would need to assure the adcom that you would be active in the community--citing clubs and activities you would get involved in, and, ideally, highlighting your past and present community involvement and interests.

Overall, you should not let your age deter you from applying! You simply need to assure that you address the potential concerns in your applications. If you would like to discuss your candidacy and applications further, please contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:32 pm
Hi Eliot,
Thanks for your reply.
I think, you referred to 30+ applicant pool. Right ? I presume they'd be older than me!

But I was specifically saying what if I apply when I'm 29 during the R1 deadlines of that application year i.e 30 at matriculation(NOT at the time of application) ?

Will it (re 29 at the time application and hence 30 at matriculation) be a hindrance/disadvantage to my candidacy?

Could you please clarify on the basis of this?

Would much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:31 am
Hi Eliot,
Any update ?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 am
Hi RBBmba@2014,

I should have used a "greater than" or "equal to" sign in regards to 30. Overall, I do not think matriculating at the age of 30 would be a major hindrance to your candidacy--there are simply a few issues you would need to be wary of, as I outlined in my initial post. Hope this clears things up!
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 pm
Eliot wrote:Hi RBBmba@2014,

I should have used a "greater than" or "equal to" sign in regards to 30. Overall, I do not think matriculating at the age of 30 would be a major hindrance to your candidacy--there are simply a few issues you would need to be wary of, as I outlined in my initial post. Hope this clears things up!
Thanks Eliot!
I thought matriculating at 30 could be hindrance to candidacy, it's really helpful to know it won't be a MAJOR issue as such :-)

Now, as for showing strong leadership,clear and firm career goals and why MBA now - ALL I think I'd be able to convey/show properly with actionable stories/evidences.

Re the risk areas you mentioned in your initial post -
1. to show that I'd easily get involved outside the classroom,I believe, it's perfectly doable as I do have strong leadership in community activities and I love doing so!

2.Working across several industries - I'd not say that actually! But yes, I've worked across TWO different industries , one belongs to my corporate experience in a multinational and the RECENT is the industry which my family business operates in and also I'd like to move into this same industry(re the second one) post-MBA. And I do have some strong leadership examples from both of these two industries with some solid recommendations from supervisor/manager (BTW, non-family member in case of the family business).

So with all these information you've, kindly let me know whether you think that the potential concerns/risks(that you mentioned) in my applications could be well addressed if articulated properly?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!