Vasily Cat

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Vasily Cat

by ajaysingh24 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:49 am
Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby. If it is raining, my cat does not enjoy going outside, save in one circumstance: if the white Siamese cat who lives across the street is around, my cat does enjoy going outside regardless.

Which of the following do the statements above most adequately support?

a) If the Siamese cat is outside, Vasily's cat will ignore the large feral tabby.
b) If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily's cat will not enjoy going outside.
c) If it is raining and Vasily's cat is enjoying itself, then the large feral tabby must be nowhere nearby.
d) If Vasily's cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not
raining or the white Siamese is around.
e) If Vasily's cat does not enjoy going outside, then either the large feral tabby is nearby or it is not raining.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:08 pm
I ajaysingh24,

This prompt is based on what's called "formal logic", which is a concept that is tested on the LSAT, but almost never on the GMAT.

Is this an LSAT LR question? If so, then you should invest in some GMAT resources instead.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shrivats » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:18 am
I think I would go with D. That is the statement the adequately supported.

From the passage we do not know if Vasily's cat would enjoy going out if both the ferral tabby and the Siamese cat are outside.

a) If the Siamese cat is outside, Vasily's cat will ignore the large feral tabby. ( we can't be sure, not adequately supported)
b) If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily's cat will not enjoy going outside. (again we can't be sure. what if the Siamese cat is also outside? not adequately supported)
c) If it is raining and Vasily's cat is enjoying itself, then the large feral tabby must be nowhere nearby. ( same problem as in above two statements)
d) If Vasily's cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not
raining or the white Siamese is around. ( This can be logically inferred from whats given)
e) If Vasily's cat does not enjoy going outside, then either the large feral tabby is nearby or it is not raining. ( this is actually going against whats given )

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:34 am
Although it does seem like LSAT, it wouldn't be out of place to see this on the GMAT. I believe this is an experimental Veritas Prep question. Here's how to break it down:

Question Rephrase: Which conclusion is MOST supported?

Given Info:

No rain + No feral = Cat enjoys
Rain = Cat does not enjoy
Rain + Siamese = Cat enjoys

The information is almost like a flow chart. Depending on certain circumstances (ran, feral, Siamese) we can arrive at two different conclusions (cat enjoys, cat does not enjoy).

The correct conclusion will be something that is strongly supported by this 'flow chart.'

(A) -- we don't have a relationship between "Feral" and "Siamese" in our flow. Incorrect.
(B) -- there are TWO requirements for "not enjoy": "no rain" AND "no feral"; this tells us nothing about the rain
(C) -- "enjoying itself" does not necessarily mean "outside." Incorrect.
(D) -- YES! This is directly supported by the "flow."
(E) -- "don't not enjoy" would mean it IS raining AND the feral IS outside. Note the use of "and" in the question stem.

The correct answer is (D).
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Followed by:1 members

by BTGmoderatorAT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:43 am
I also choose "D"

Since Vasily's Cat is enjoying therefore No rain & Siamese is there but it is not stated if White Siamese will go outside if there's a rain.

I'm confused what's the best statement to determine the answer?