Pls explain

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Pls explain

by prachi18oct » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 am
A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.
(A) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(B) A derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, of the Madagascar periwinkle,
(C) A Madagascar periwinkle derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(D) The Madagascar periwinkle has a derivative which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, that
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,

I think the best answer is A but found that E is right.I seriously doubt E could be the answer.
Can someone explain?

According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation's four-year colleges and universities.
(A) equivalent to the enrollment of
(B) the equivalent of those enrolled in
(C) equal to those who are enrolled in
(D) as many as the enrollment of
(E) as many as are enrolled in

Also in this one, why is c incorrect?[/u]

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:13 am
prachi18oct wrote:A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.
(A) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(B) A derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, of the Madagascar periwinkle,
(C) A Madagascar periwinkle derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(D) The Madagascar periwinkle has a derivative which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, that
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,

I think the best answer is A but found that E is right.I seriously doubt E could be the answer.
Can someone explain?
This question tests usage of which. Which usually modified the preceeding noun. In A, it modifies Madagascar Periwinkle where as it should modify 'the substance'. Thus, E.

prachi18oct wrote: According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation's four-year colleges and universities.

This tests comparison. In C, we are comparing a number to people. Thus, incorrect. While comparing apples must be compared to apples. Thus, choose an option which compares number with number.
Regards,

Pranay

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:31 am
prachi18oct wrote:A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.

I think the best answer is A.
A: A substance...is cultivated in China.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the PERIWINKLE is cultivated in China.
Eliminate A.
According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation's four-year colleges and universities.

Check my post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/carnegie-fou ... 07521.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Saggii27 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 am
A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients[/u], is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.

what is wrong with C?

A Madagascar periwinkle derivative is much clear and concise than the Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which

please explain