GMAT PREP SOFTWARE

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT PREP SOFTWARE

by mcadorette » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:33 pm
Do you guys think the questions on GMAT PREP software are easy? I am just talking about the practice questions for Quant. Not that I am getting them all right but I feel they are easier than some questions from the official guide. Are they made by the same people? My test is coming up and I was just doing some of the practice questions on gmat prep software.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:26 pm
The questions are written by the same people.

The GMATPrep practice tests are adaptive. If you are getting questions right then you should be getting harder questions.

Of course "harder" or "more difficult" as seen by the test-taker is a subjective thing. You may just prefer the style of questions on the GMATPrep.

If you scored well on the GMATPrep practice exam that is a good sign for you, regardless of how hard the questions felt!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:47 pm
Hi mcadorette,

The questions from the GMATPrep Software and from the OG13 are from the same source material (the Official GMAT). "Easy" is a relative term when it comes to assessing a question; what's "easy" to some might not be "easy" for all. You also have to consider the context in which you faced the question. Did you solve it while you were well-rested or did you solve it after grinding your way through the Essay and IR portions of a CAT? Did you solve it with no time constraints or did you solve it at the end of the Quant section when you are likely to be low on time?

The reality is that most GMAT questions are fairly straight-forward (although some require some specific knowledge and others take longer to "unravel" and organize). If you're scoring well on your full-length practice CATs, then there's a higher likelihood of success on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:44 pm
Hey there,

The truth is, while all the questions in both the OG13 and the GMATPrep are from the same official source: GMAC, not all questions are created equal. For example, some students find certain questions in the GMATPrep 3 and 4 a lot tougher than the GMATPrep 1 and 2, but as others have mentioned, it's all relative. Really, the GMAT will be hard for EVERYONE, because it will adapt (like a virus...okay, that's a bit harsh) to your ability quickly.

So I think the best mindset for practice is to EXPECT it to be VERY hard, then SEEK OUT THE TOUGHEST QUESTIONS YOU CAN FIND. Especially in your weakest areas. Once you've completed the OG questions, you may want to supplement your GMATPreps with some of the MGMAT CATs (you get access to all 6 of them by purchasing any of their books). MGMAT's CATs have some of hardest Quant I've seen around.

Another great resource is the 700+ level questions from GMATClub. Students cull the toughest problems and post them for discussion. I'd especially focus on Word Problems involving Rates, Mixtures, Sets, Probability, Combinations, or Permutations. Toss in some Functions and Sequences problems and you'll really be pushing into "tough Quant" territory. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-quest ... 27957.html

Enjoy! :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)