Neutrons

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Neutrons

by ikaplan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:38 am
The neutrons residing in the nucleus of an atom have a mass virtually the same as the protons but without an electric charge.
(A) The neutrons residing in the nucleus of an atom have a mass virtually the same as the protons but without an electric charge
(B) The mass of the neutrons residing in the atom's nucleus is virtually the same as that of its protons, but the former do not have an electric charge
(C) Residing in the nucleus of an atom but without an electric charge, neutrons have virtually the same mass as protons do
(D) The neutrons and protons residing in the nucleus of an atom have virtually the same mass, but neutrons lack an electric charge
(E) Having virtually the same mass as protons do but lacking an electrical charge, neutrons reside in the nucleus of the atom

Answer: D

Can someone please explain what is wrong with C?
"Commitment is more than just wishing for the right conditions. Commitment is working with what you have."

Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:19 am
(A) The neutrons residing in the nucleus of an atom have a mass virtually the same as the protons but without an electric charge wrong comparision
(B) The mass of the neutrons residing in the atom's nucleus is virtually the same as that of its protons, but the former do not have an electric charge
(C) Residing in the nucleus of an atom but without an electric charge, neutrons have virtually the same mass as protons do
(D) The neutrons and protons residing in the nucleus of an atom have virtually the same mass, but neutrons lack an electric charge - correct
(E) Having virtually the same mass as protons do but lacking an electrical charge, neutrons reside in the nucleus of the atom

Followed by:1 members

by ikaplan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:52 am
What is wrong with C?
"Commitment is more than just wishing for the right conditions. Commitment is working with what you have."

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:21 am
What is wrong with C?
C is not parallel
C says: Residing in the nucleus of an atom but without an electric charge, neutrons have virtually the same mass as protons do---->"BUT" is a parallel marker so u need parallelism across "but"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:09 am
ikaplan wrote: Can someone please explain what is wrong with C?
An introductory VERBing modifier must serve not only to modify the SUBJECT of the following clause but also to provide context for the VERB in the modified clause.
Sitting on a bench, John ate his lunch.
Here, sitting serves not only to modify John (JOHN is SITTING) but also to express how John ate (he ATE while SITTING).

C: Residing in the nucleus of an atom, neutrons have virtually the same mass as protons do.
Here, residing correctly refers to neutrons, but the connection between the VERBing action and the main action is unclear.
Residing in the nucleus does not seem to indicate how or why neutrons have the same mass as protons do.
Thus, the use of the VERBing modifier is inappropriate.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3