Profile Critique - Help Needed!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Critique - Help Needed!

by ccrock » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 am
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read. I need help strengthening my profile before I start the application process for next fall.

I am a 25 year old male
Scheduled to take my GMAT in Sept
(Currently scoring in 670-700 range on my practice exams)
Graduate of 2010, attended a US top 75 private university where I earned a dismal 2.39 overall GPA.
Double majored in Economics and Public Policy
I was also a walk-on (non-scholarship) member of the football team, while working part-time during the spring semesters.
There are other factors that contributed to my low GPA which I intend to address in my essays.

I currently work in the operations (Back Office) department of an Investment Banking Firm where apart from my job description, I have learned how to contribute to all department of operations.

Prior to this I worked as a data research analyst for a credit bureau where I was promoted to work on client specific, time sensitive projects.

Outside of work, I volunteer with the Big Brother, Big Sister organization which is a one on one commitment to mentor a child.
I also referee middle and high school basketball during the school year and coach a winter church league basketball team.

I know it's a stretch but I'm looking for entrance into a top 50 MBA program.
So my question is what steps can I take now so I present a better profile for admissions? (Alternative transcript? More extracurriculars, etc..)

What is a bare minimum GMAT score I need to aim for to balance my low GPA?

Any assistance is sincerely appreciated, thank you!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 am
For a top 50 program you should be okay if you keep your GMAT score in the range you are currently scoring. Obviously, the better you can do, the more likely you will be able to get away with the low GPA.

Good luck!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:18 am
First, I congratulate you on your role as a Big Brother. I am an active Big Brother and previous Young Professional Board Member of Big Brothers in Miami so I very much appreciate it.

I think you should first concentrate on getting the highest GMAT score you can. Then consider the range of options before you in terms of Different MBA Program Types and why you wish to go to MBA school. The closer your fit with a school the higher your probability. But anecdotally I have had many successful applicants with your circumstances.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] for a free assessment that would offer a more holistic perspective on your MBA admissions chances.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ccrock » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:24 am
Thank you both!!

Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:18 am
I am glad it helped.

Have a nice weekend,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.