Selecting Right B school-ISB vs SP Jain vs Global B schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I applied to SP jain last month without taking GMAT ...and took the GMAT a week ago...scored 740...Now i consider this score safe safe enough for ISB...My predicament is that if i get through the interview process of SP Jain should i leave it this year and apply to ISB next year??? or should i go for some foreign B school? What difference is there between the MBA program at SP Jain/ISB and MBA program at a global B school??
I want to actually enrol for an MBA course that adds maximum value in me. Please guide.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:39 am
On Brand Equity, ISB stands above SP Jain, as is evident from year on year B-school rankings. Owing to stricter entry barriers the peer group quality you can expect at ISB will also be much better. You can look for other comparing factors such as placement statistics and quality of job profiles post-MBA. Your score of 740 is very good but I would like to know more about your profile (work exp, leadership skills, professional achievements), hobbies, extra curricular, and your short term and long term goals before I can recommend you any US B-schools.
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:45 am
Hi Munish,

Many congratulations on your scores. No doubt the ISB is far ahead of SP Jain in terms of program, course structure, faculty and post-MBA placements. A good score is the first part of a good application. On the other hand, you should not gauge your chances in b-schools only by your scores. Rather make your application strong by positioning yourself on essays & interviews. The b-schools adcoms judge the candidates not only through scores, acads, credentials or extra-curricular, but from the application essays and interviews which constitutes 60% of the entire application.

You can try your chances in other b-schools by clicking to https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool. Having said this, you can write a lot about your professional achievements, leadership qualities & other abilities in your application essays.

Let me know or post any of your queries you might have.

Regards,
Yash

munishvashishat wrote:I applied to SP jain last month without taking GMAT ...and took the GMAT a week ago...scored 740...Now i consider this score safe safe enough for ISB...My predicament is that if i get through the interview process of SP Jain should i leave it this year and apply to ISB next year??? or should i go for some foreign B school? What difference is there between the MBA program at SP Jain/ISB and MBA program at a global B school??
I want to actually enrol for an MBA course that adds maximum value in me. Please guide.

by rakhi76 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:37 am
As to what I know, SP Jain is not bad either. It was ranked 5th in Asia (Best International Business Schools 2013) by Forbes.

by aish37 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:43 am
When it comes to ISB, I feel there is a lack of exposure because one is studying in one city that too in the outskirts of Hyderabad. How ever it is important to understand the dynamics of business and business cultures across the world. I feel that SP Jain has a very interesting course structure. They have this tri-city structure wherein students get to study in 3 different countries all in one course: Dubai, Sydney, and Singapore.

by ayush127 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 am
Yes, I agree. The exposure to different cultures and working with the local market with add value to your CV and your experience, which I think is very important.

by suhana12 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:59 am
If you wish to work part time as you study then SP Jain does give you that liberty but ISB's course is full time. So it entirely depends on you. Go to both their websites.

by radhay » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:07 am
I heard, ISB has great faculty and impressive placement records.

by akkuk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:11 am
I went through both the college's websites and was just checking out their rankings. ISB, has been ranked 36th in the world in the 2014 Financial Times Global MBA Rankings whereas SP Jain school of global Management comes in the top 20 Management colleges in the world in Forbes ranking. Both are pretty good with the rankings. I think you should get in touch with the alumni.

by ayush127 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:13 am
Both are good places to do an MBA. The advantage of SP Jain is that you will get to work on local company projects and acquire real world skills particularly if you are looking to work abroad.

by rakshith987 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:33 am
ISB gives great classroom experience and you will learn a lot from the experiences shared by the faculty, and I agree that its placements records are also very good.

by suhana12 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 am
SP Jain school of Global management is a pretty decent college and I think you must have heard about its tri city MBA program which is very unique to it. My cousin currently studies there and they get to study in 3 countries and of course she is enjoying a lot.

by radhay » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:37 am
Why don't you contact both B Schools and ask them to put you in touch with some of their Alumni.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ahmed2502 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:56 pm
Not to be judgmental, I know few of my colleagues and subordinates went to SP Jain Global cause they could not get admitted to any other top school. These people were not very bright - the kind of classmates from whom you would learn a great deal. The intake criteria is influenced by west, but the overall class environment remains very Indian. One of the colleagues had to come back to the same company with help of his existing contacts, with a different role but almost same package. Few were placed in Accenture and IBM, but overall I would not believe that they had any life changing experience. But, they did enjoy their studies and the global locations very well - with continuous updates on FB. :)
SP Jain regular 2years MBA has greater recognition in Indian market.

Whereas, the colleagues who did MBA from ISB definitely have got broader mindset, got better package, and ,in overall, enjoy better brand value.

If your goal is to stay back in India, IIMs are worthy options as well- for their brand value and strong alumni network.

Personally, I would still prefer a global school - only to get rid of Indian counterparts. Indian schools, except ISB to some extent, are flooded with similar minded Indian students who from day 1 run after CGPA. The B-School is supposed to be a place where you learn from faculties and your peers as well, apply your knowledge to real word problems, and develop your collaborative and team building skills.

by ajitjoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 am
Hello everyone, I am a little confused. I have just graduated and I have narrowed down two options for my further studies: MGB from SP Jain School of Global Management or the Post Graduate Programme in Management. Kindly share your opinions as to which is a better course. Thanks.