INSEAD or Weatherhead?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

INSEAD or Weatherhead?

by viperomni » Sun May 25, 2014 1:40 am
I am an Indian, retired armed forces officer, successful entrepreneur with a couple of hotels of my own. I am 28 years old, with a GMAT of 750, GPA of 3.4. I am on the waitlist of Cornell and Tepper and have been selected for INSEAD Singapore campus and Weatherhead, at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. INSEAD will probably not offer any scholarship but I will receive financing from Prodigy Finance at very minimal rates without any collateral. On the other hand Weatherhead offers me a 75% scholarship, a part time job and rather low living expenses. Consequently, Weatherhead will turn out to be the cheaper investment as I will probably be able to complete my education quite within my means without accruing any debt. On the other hand, INSEAD will mean that I will spend most of the first two years of my career post MBA paying off the loan that I will incur for the education. However, the long term benefits of studying at INSEAD might outweigh the short term advantages of studying at Weatherhead. The name recognition that INSEAD enjoys, the high respect factor, potential assistance from the alumni network and the advantage of being branded with INSEAD during promotions. On the other hand I might top Weatherhead, get a job at a top consulting firm and develop a similar network and let my work speak for itself. In any case my plans for the future are that i would only like to work for a consulting firm for five years, gain experience and start off my own venture. In such case, would the INSEAD name matter as much?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:02 pm
Hello viperomni,

Thank you for your post and congratulations on your acceptances!

Given how successful you have been to-date, I would be confident that any path you choose would work out. That said, you are right about the long-term benefits of INSEAD's MBA program. As you are clearly aware of the short- vs. long-term benefits, you may also consider how international you would like your career to be; INSEAD will have more global recognition and reach. Ultimately, this will be a personal decision about your two years post-MBA vs. your long-term vision. I would suggest picking the program that you feel would support you throughout your career (and one that you would be proud to support as well).

Best of luck with your decision and congratulations again!
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.