460 in GMATPrep test 1, need some help!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

460 in GMATPrep test 1, need some help!!!

by namang.8888 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:28 pm
I am new to GMAT. I gave my first GMATPrep test 1 yesterday but i only score 460. There were so many difficulties i faced.
1) in some questions, i was not able to understand what was being asked.
2) I found the test takes too much time, after some time i wasn't able to concentrate.

i am really worried about my score. I need some guidence. Please help!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by namang.8888 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:36 am
Before giving this test, i didn't know that we have to finish our test. If we don't finish our test it'll be a penalty. I left 8 continuous question in verbal. Can anyone tell me how much penalty i paid?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:22 pm
Hi namang.8888,

I suggest that you post these questions in the Strategy Forum; this is the Ask The Testmaker Forum.

Many Test Takers start off with low practice CAT test scores because they're unfamiliar with some of the question types and they're not used to taking an exam on a computer. Many Test Takers also have pacing problems and become tired during the exam; these are two areas that you clearly have to improve on. The good news is that you can learn about the exam and train to score higher.

In addition to the software that you downloaded (along with 2 practice CATs, it includes a bunch of practice questions), you'll probably want to invest in some GMAT practice materials. Most Test Takers find that the GMAC 13th Edition Official Guide to be a great resource from practice questions and information. In addition, you should read and post in these Forums. You'll learn a lot about the GMAT and the various ways to approach questions.

Any questions that you don't answer will be marked as incorrect AND will be penalized, so you have to make sure to answer all of the questions in each section. Leaving 8 unanswered questions at the end of the Verbal section would have certainly lowered your score. Rather than focus on exactly how many points you "lost", focus instead on learning the question types and working faster so that you can eliminate your pacing problem.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:17 am
Hello, Namang.8888! I second Rich's suggestion that you re-post your question to one of the main test prep forums. This forum is to ask questions to us, the makers of the GMAT exam, and unfortunately, we cannot advise you on specific study strategy. Your best resources are going to be other students who have faced the same challenges, and test prep tutors, who typically post to the main forums.

That said, it sounds as if you are new to preparing for the GMAT exam, and need more time to study. Students, particularly those who have been out of school for some time and are no longer used to taking exams, often need to spend time focusing on pacing and re-familiarizing themselves with the test format. If you are not already using GMATPrep, I suggest you give it a try. It comes with two practice exams, and also has timers you can use to practice pacing: https://www.mba.com/store/product-info.a ... ID=80.0027.

Good luck on your GMAT journey!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!