Africa's black rhino population in the mid-1970's numbered a

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members
Africa's black rhino population in the mid-1970's numbered about 20,000, ten times the estimated population of 2,000 in 1997.

(A) the estimated population
(B) that of their estimated population
(C) more than the population's estimated amount
(D) more black rhinos than their population estimate
(E) more than that of their population's estimated amount

What does option B mean?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by raj44 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:42 pm
What's the answer?

I feel option B is using their incorrectly- it should have been singular pronoun its to refer to black rhino's population, which is a collective noun and therefore singular.
abhasjha wrote:Africa's black rhino population in the mid-1970's numbered about 20,000, ten times the estimated population of 2,000 in 1997.

What does option B mean?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Fri May 30, 2014 12:41 am
My pick [spoiler]{A}[/spoiler].. What's the OA?
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 30, 2014 6:12 am
abhasjha wrote:Africa's black rhino population in the mid-1970's numbered about 20,000, ten times the estimated population of 2,000 in 1997.

What does option B mean?
In B, D and E, their lacks a plural referent.
Eliminate B, D and E.

In C, the population's amount of 2000 is redundant.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is A.

B: Africa's black rhino population in the mid-1970's numbered ten times that of their estimated population of 2,000 in 1997.
Here, that seems to refer to Africa's black rhino population.
The result is an illogical comparison:
Africa's black rhino population numbered ten times Africa's black rhino population of their estimated population of 2000 in 1997.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:58 pm

What does option B mean?

Hi abhasjha,

Let's first understand the usage of the phrase 'that of':

The fixed costs of nuclear plants are more than that of other types of power plants. ('that' refers to 'the fixed costs')
The income of Raj is more than that of Mike. ('that' refers to 'the income' )

From these examples, we can see that "that of" is used to replace a noun that has already been used in the sentence. If we had not used "that" of in these sentences, they would have looked like this:

The fixed costs of nuclear plants are more than the fixed costs of other types of power plants.
The income of Raj is more than the income of Mike.

As you can see, we can use "that of" to replace nouns. Doing so prevents the sentence from sounding repetitive. However, note that we can only use "that of" when it is absolutely clear which noun it is referring to. We certainly cannot use it in a context in which it has no antecedent. For example, look at this incorrect sentence:

The number of apples in this crate is more than that of the number in that crate.

Now, what does "that of" refer to in this sentence? Absolutely nothing! The comparison is between "the number of apples in this crate" and "the number of apples in that crate". So, "that of" makes no sense here since there is nothing that it can refer to.

Now, in the given sentence:
"¢ Africa's black rhino population in the mid-1970s numbered about 20,000, ten times the estimated population of 2,000 in 1997.

The compared entities are:
1. Black rhino population in the mid-1970s i.e. 20,000
2. The estimated population in 1997 i.e. 2000

OPTION B
"¢ Africa's black rhino population in the mid-1970s numbered about 20,000, ten times that of their estimated population of 2,000 in 1997.

COMPARISON ERROR
There is no noun here that "that" can refer to. As you saw in the examples above, "that of" is used to replace a noun that has already been used in the sentence. Here, the comparison is between "the black rhino population" and "the estimated population". So, "that of" makes no sense since there is no logical antecedent that it can refer to.

PRONOUN ERROR
Also, there is no plural antecedent for the pronoun 'their'. It seems to refer to the black rhinos of Africa, but the noun "black rhinos" is not used in the sentence.

Hope this helps! :)
Regards,
Deepak

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vietmoi999 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:41 am
"amount of 2000" is incorrect. it should be "a number of 2000"

is that right?
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot