The seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the appar

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
The seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations makes the Canary Island a popular choice for those wanting to buy their own private island.

a)seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations makes

b)seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparent absence of government regulations make

c)seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparent absent government regulations make

d)seemingly unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations makes

e)seemingly unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparent absence of government regulations make

OA: E
Last edited by shobhitk on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by shobhitk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:38 am
I'm having trouble understanding the parallelism in this sentence? Isn't this case of two parallel adverbial phrases starting with seemingly and apparenlty?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:32 am
I'm having trouble understanding the parallelism in this sentence? Isn't this case of two parallel adverbial phrases starting with seemingly and apparenlty?
E is perfectly parallel there is no need to have "apparently" to make it parallel to
"seemingly"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:50 am
shobhitk wrote:The seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations makes the Canary Island a popular choice for those wanting to buy their own private island.

a)seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations makes

b)seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparent absence of government regulations make

c)seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparent absent government regulations make

d)seeming unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations makes

e)seemingly unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparent absence of government regulations make

OA: E
A, B, C and D: seeming unlimited supply
Here, seeming -- an ADJECTIVE -- serves to modify supply, implying that the amount of water seems to be a SUPPLY.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate A, B, C and D.

The correct answer is E.

OA: seemingly unlimited supply and apparent absence of government regulations
Here:
seemingly -- an ADVERB -- serves to modify unlimited, correctly implying that the supply of water seems to be UNLIMITED.
apparent -- an ADJECTIVE -- serves to modify absence, correctly implying that there appears to be an ABSENCE of government regulations.
and -- a CONJUNCTION -- correctly serves to connect two noun phrases (seemingly unlimited supply and apparent absence of government regulations).
It is not required that the modifiers in the two noun phrases (seemingly and apparent) serve the same function.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by shobhitk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:51 am
Thanks GMATGuruNY. From what you have mentioned, if I take option D and make following changes- "makes" to "make" and seeming to seemingly. Do you think even option D will be a right answer?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:57 am
shobhitk wrote:Thanks GMATGuruNY. From what you have mentioned, if I take option D and change "makes" to "make". Do you think even option D will be a right answer?
No.
As I mentioned above, seeming conveys the wrong meaning.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by shobhitk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:07 pm
GMATGuruNY,

I apologize for multiple iterations. I think the edit I made wasn't visible.

So, if you take a closer look option A and D are same. I made a typo. D would be seemingly instead of seeming.
In addition to this, if I change makes to make, will it be correct?

Basically, if d) is-

d)seemingly unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations make

Will this be correct? I ask this because I want to be sure that there isn't any other parallelism issue that I'm missing on.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:36 am
shobhitk wrote:
Basically, if d) is-

d)seemingly unlimited supply of fresh water and the apparently absent government regulations make

Will this be correct? I ask this because I want to be sure that there isn't any other parallelism issue that I'm missing on.
There is one more error in D: the apparently absent government regulations
Here:
absent means non-existent.
apparently -- an adverb -- serves to indicate HOW the regulations are NON-EXISTENT.
Conveyed meaning:
The [existing] government regulations are apparently non-existent.
The conveyed meaning is nonsensical.

This error is rectified in the OA: the apparent absence of government regulations
Here, apparent -- an adjective -- serves to modify absence.
Conveyed meaning:
There appears to be an absence -- in other words, a lack -- of government regulations.
This meaning makes sense.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:2 members

by confused13 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:17 am
With logic we can derive that it has to be seemingly --> D,E remain. because seeming and supply doesn't make sense.

Additionally, one can drop answer choice that say "A and B makes"
Correct is "A and B make"
--> E. That's how I did it.