Kate: The recent decline in numbers of the Tennessee warbler

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
Kate: The recent decline in numbers of the Tennessee warbler, a North American songbird that migrates each fall to coffee plantations in South America, is due to the elimination of dense tree cover that formerly was a feature of most South American coffee plantations.

Scott: The population of the spruce budworm, the warbler's favourite prey in North America, has been dropping. This is a more likely explanation of the warbler's decline.

Question: Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls Scott's hypothesis into question?

1). The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms but is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining

2). The spruce budworm population has dropped because of a disease that can infect budworms but not Tennessee warblers

3). The drop in the population of the spruce budworm is expected to only be temporary

4). Many Tennessee warblers have begun migrating in the fall to places other than traditional coffee plantations

5). Although many North American songbirds have declined in numbers, no other species has experienced as great a decline as has the Tennessee warbler.

my concern: kindly tell me one thing if A had been as below then will it question Scott's conclusion more than does the present A?

modified A : The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does eat budworms and is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining

after all what is scott saying?

scott is saying: The population of the spruce budworm, the warbler's favourite prey in North America, has been dropping. This is a more likely explanation of the warbler's decline.

so we need to show that ,somehow, there is another bird that does eat spruce budworm ,however the population of this "another bird" is not dropping despite the drop in its food .on the contrary this "another bird" is as much dependent on those forest as is Tennessee warbler and because the forests are declining so that is effectively leading to the decline of Tennessee warbler

thanks and regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am
aditya8062 wrote:Kate: The recent decline in numbers of the Tennessee warbler, a North American songbird that migrates each fall to coffee plantations in South America, is due to the elimination of dense tree cover that formerly was a feature of most South American coffee plantations.

Scott: The population of the spruce budworm, the warbler's favourite prey in North America, has been dropping. This is a more likely explanation of the warbler's decline.

Question: Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls Scott's hypothesis into question?

1). The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms but is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining.

2). The spruce budworm population has dropped because of a disease that can infect budworms but not Tennessee warblers

3). The drop in the population of the spruce budworm is expected to only be temporary

4). Many Tennessee warblers have begun migrating in the fall to places other than traditional coffee plantations

5). Although many North American songbirds have declined in numbers, no other species has experienced as great a decline as has the Tennessee warbler.
When a CR passage includes two speakers, the conclusion of the second speaker is that the first speaker is WRONG.
Kate's conclusion:
The decline in the warbler population is due to the elimination of dense tree cover that was formerly a feature of South American coffee plantations.
Scott's conclusion:
The decline in the warbler population is NOT due to the elimination of dense tree cover that was formerly a feature of South American coffee plantations.
Rather, the reason for the decline is a lack of the warbler's favorite prey, the spruce budworm.

Answer choice A:
The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms but is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining.
Here, the decline in the oriole population cannot be attributed to a lack of budworms.
Implication:
Another bird species dependent on South American coffee plantations is suffering, weakening Scott's conclusion that there is no link between the decline in the warbler population and South American coffee plantations.

The correct answer is A.
aditya8062 wrote: modified A : The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does eat budworms and is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining.
In this modified version, another species dependent on budworms is suffering, possibly STRENGTHENING Scott's conclusion that a lack of budworms is to blame for the decline in the warbler population -- the OPPOSITE of what we need.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 am
thanks GURU
sorry i wrote it wrongly
i meant it as below:

modified A 1: The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does eat budworms and is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are not declining.

also please tell me about the following modified A 2

modified A 2 : The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does eat budworms and is just as much dependent on them as Tennessee warbler are not declining.

thanks and regards

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:32 am
aditya8062 wrote:thanks GURU
sorry i wrote it wrongly
i meant it as below:

modified A 1: The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does eat budworms and is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are not declining.
Here, a bird dependent on South American coffee plantations is doing just fine, STRENGTHENING Scott's conclusion that Kate is wrong to blame the coffee plantations.
Not a viable answer choice.
also please tell me about the following modified A 2

modified A 2 : The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does eat budworms and is just as much dependent on them as Tennessee warbler are not declining.

thanks and regards
While this version suggests that a lack of budworms is not the problem, a reader is left to wonder:
How is a bird DEPENDENT on the budworm NOT being hurt by a drop in the budworm supply?
The OA is better in that it avoids such confusion.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NandishSS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:58 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:Kate: The recent decline in numbers of the Tennessee warbler, a North American songbird that migrates each fall to coffee plantations in South America, is due to the elimination of dense tree cover that formerly was a feature of most South American coffee plantations.

1). The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms but is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining.

When a CR passage includes two speakers, the conclusion of the second speaker is that the first speaker is WRONG.
Kate's conclusion:
The decline in the warbler population is due to the elimination of dense tree cover that was formerly a feature of South American coffee plantations.
Scott's conclusion:
The decline in the warbler population is NOT due to the elimination of dense tree cover that was formerly a feature of South American coffee plantations.
Rather, the reason for the decline is a lack of the warbler's favorite prey, the spruce budworm.

Answer choice A:
The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms but is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining.
Here, the decline in the oriole population cannot be attributed to a lack of budworms.
Implication:
Another bird species dependent on South American coffee plantations is suffering, weakening Scott's conclusion that there is no link between the decline in the warbler population and South American coffee plantations.

The correct answer is A.
aditya8062 wrote: modified A : The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does eat budworms and is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining.
HI Mitch,

In this modified version, another species dependent on budworms is suffering, possibly STRENGTHENING Scott's conclusion that a lack of budworms is to blame for the decline in the warbler population -- the OPPOSITE of what we need.
What is the correlation between Baltimore oriole & Tennessee warbler?

It says Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms are declining too. Does it mean Tennessee warbler has nothing to do with spruce budworm?

Thanks
Nandish

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:00 am
NandishSS wrote:
Kate: The recent decline in numbers of the Tennessee warbler, a North American songbird that migrates each fall to coffee plantations in South America, is due to the elimination of dense tree cover that formerly was a feature of most South American coffee plantations.

What is the correlation between Baltimore oriole & Tennessee warbler?

It says Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms are declining too. Does it mean Tennessee warbler has nothing to do with spruce budworm?

Thanks
Nandish
Generally:
When a weaken CR offers two competing explanations for a phenomenon, the OA will suggest that one explanation is correct and that the other explanation is wrong.

Here, there are two competing explanations for the decline in the warbler's numbers:
According to Kate, the reason is a change in South American coffee plantations.
According to Scott, the reason is a decline in the population of the spruce budworm.
To weaken Scott's hypothesis, the correct answer will suggest that Kate's explanation is more likely than Scott's.

A: The numbers of the Baltimore oriole, a songbird that does not eat budworms but is as dependent on South America coffee plantations as is the Tennessee warbler, are declining.
Here, another songbird that depends on coffee plantations is suffering -- a circumstance that cannot be attributed to a lack of budworms, since the oriole does not eat them.
This information suggests that the warbler's decline is due more likely to Kate's explanation (a change in the coffee plantations) than to Scott's (a decline in the population of the budworm).

The correct answer is A.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3