What are my chances to get into top b-school in US?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

My name is Benjamin and I'm from China. Really appreciate if you can help to evaluate my chances to get into H/S/W or other suitable M7. (plan to apply this year)

Chinese Male, 28, currently work/live in South Africa

Education
Bachelor of Economics from Shanghai University, China.
GPA: 3.5, won National Scholarship in every year
GMAT: 710 (am thinking to re-take it to make it around 750)

Work Experience
Total 4.8 yrs in a leading international bank, joined as global management trainee
-intensive in classroom training with trainees all over the world in Malaysia & Singapore
-2 yr On job rotations in different functions of the bank, including client relationship management, credit/Risk and operations in China. As the best performing trainee in China, I was given the chance to have a rotation in Group Head Office as a business planning role in Singapore and Dubai for 8 months.
-2 yr Segment Development Manager to developed bank's International Banking Value Proposition in North East Asia Regional office, based in Shanghai, working with Hongkong/Taiwan team as champion of China.
-Moved to South Africa at the beginning of this year, as business analysis of China Africa corridor in Africa regional office for strategic planning, performance management, portfolio analysis, etc.

Extra Curricular
President of Student Union (leader for over 300 students working in 10 self-run departments) in my university
Part time committee member of Youth League Union of Shanghai Financial Centre (government), organising events targeting at young people that work in all the financial institutions in Shanghai
Champion in China of Diversity & Inclusion Committee of our bank, lead over 10 people in China to initiate events for all 5,000 staff from different culture background
Leading vocal of a 5 people music band, won the first prise of bank's global talent competition in 2011 and performed on bank's top executives conference
Lots of Charity activities in Shanghai, Singapore, Dubai and Africa as organizer or participants. (one of the charity event organized by me in Singapore was reported in a local newspaper)
First team Forward of the bank's soccer team in China and big fan of soccer

Post MBA goal: 1) strategic management role in a multinational corporation 2) Consulting 3) M&A corporate advisory
Long term goal: Senior Executive in multinational corporation

Would like to get your thoughts on strengths/areas for improvement and school recommendations.

Thanks a lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:54 pm
Hello Benjamin,

Thank you for your post!

There are several strengths in your profile that would make you competitive at the top programs. Let's start with your academics. As the average GPA of applicants to the top MBA programs is 3.5, you will fit right in. Having earned scholarships consistently will also show how you excelled relative to your peers. One thing to note, however, is that the top programs receive applications from many candidates who have performed very well with economics majors, in particular. Your undergraduate academics are certainly solid, but will not necessarily help you to stand out from other applicants with similar backgrounds. A 710 GMAT is also solid and would be competitive for the top programs.

As you note working for a leading international bank, it's likely you'll have brand strength on your side in regards to your career history. While you'll want to account for your direct management experience and quantified results, I can see your international exposure really helping you stand out in the admissions process. The diversity of your responsibilities will also convey that you have a well-rounded skill set and be able to contribute in myriad ways to classroom discussions.

You have a healthy set of extracurricular activities as well. Business schools rely on students to run and lead their clubs, so it looks like you have ample evidence to highlight that you could take up such leadership roles in school. You will want to emphasize your organizational role in the charity events when possible, as the adcom will be looking for your leadership outside of the work place. Also, as with your career achievements, keep an eye towards quantifying your impact. It will also be important to keep your involvement ongoing-you have a rich history of social and community activities, but keep it going in South Africa.

In regards to areas of improvement, I highly recommend fleshing out your goals a bit more. Not only should you narrow down your short-term plans, but also determine a few target firms as well as your anticipated responsibilities and impact. For instance, consulting is a common path pitched by MBA applicants; you could stand out more by digging into the details of what you hope to do and where.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss your applications further: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.