Ending a contentious political stalemate that

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
Ending a contentious political stalemate that frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and included a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite ministers - to guide Italy, Europe's third-largest economy, out of stagnation.

A) frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and included a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite ministers - to guide Italy, Europe's

B) had frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government uniting liberals and conservatives - and including a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, with Europe's

C) had been frightening global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, has finally formed a rare coalition government uniting liberals and conservatives - and that include a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, which has Europe's

D) had frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government that united liberals and conservatives - and including a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - to guide Italy, which has Europe's

E) frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government to unite liberals and conservatives - and includes a record number of women and Italy's first nonwhite minister - and to guide Italy, with Europe's

my doubt 1 : i always believe that the dashes are used to put some information as an aside .but is it that if in a dash we have a construction such "DASH + and XYZ " then do we need to have parallelism across "and" even though that "and" is included in a "dash" . Also is it OK to include verb "included" in between "dashes" as is done in A?

my doubt 2 : honestly i am not very comfortable with the fact that "past perfect" is a requirement in this question .for instance i feel that following construction would have been equally OK : Ending a contentious political stalemate that frightened global business leaders, the new Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, finally formed a rare coalition government to unite liberals and conservatives.....

thanks and regards
Last edited by aditya8062 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by raj44 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:51 am
Hi

Is the answer B? According to me, B is the most suitable option.It maintains perfect parallelism.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mathrupradeep » Mon May 26, 2014 6:19 pm
I feel A is the answer.