MiM or MBA?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

MiM or MBA?

by [email protected] » Thu May 22, 2014 4:07 am
I am confused whether to opt for Mim or to wait for 3-5 more years for MBA?
My Profile:-
College: National Institute of Technology, Nagpur(One of the best in India)
Stream(UG): Electrical and Electronics Engineering
% in UG: 84.1%(Top 10 in the department)
GMAT(1st attempt) : 680
Currently employed in: PepsiCo International,India Region
Years of Experience: 1 year
Role: Graduate Engineer Trainee
Achievements:
1.One of the city topper in Higher Secondary with a score of 93%.
2.Recently, won operational excellence award(youngest employee to win such an award) in PepsiCo International.
Extra-circular:-
1. I was the elected General Secretary of my college.
2. I am a Core Team Member in AXIS(technical festival of my college).
3. I am a member of PRAYAS(an Org for helping the under-privileged ).

Dream College:-
1. London Business School(MiM programme)
2. ESMT(MiM)
3. ISB(PGP)
4. Darden(MBA)

Regards,
Mukherjee

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Thu May 22, 2014 5:29 am
Hi Tanuj,

Your profile is good for both MIM and MBA, there is huge differnce between MIM and MBA, it starts right from the kind of people who get in, course curriculam, way of teaching, final placements. Also the decision to apply for MIM/MBA depends on your short term and long term career goals. Suggest you to target MBA programs which have great ROI and career opportunities. Consider applying to ISB this year itself and start working on your ISB application as the application is already open.

Regards,
Manish
www.general-ed.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Thu May 22, 2014 7:25 am
To add to that, thought you might enjoy this article about the rise of the MiM that my colleague at Fortuna Admissions wrote: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattsymonds ... anagement/
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri May 23, 2014 7:16 am
Not all MiMs are equal.

What are your post-MBA goals and alternative options? So, for example, if you wish to enter management consulting and are pigeonholed in an engineering role then going to London Business School's MiM programme could make sense. Scour the MiM employment reports of your target schools to see if those programs can help you accomplish your goals.

Here is the 2013 LBS MiM Employment Report - https://www.london.edu/assets/documents/ ... _Jan14.pdf
Every single top consulting company recruits from LBS' MiM and 1 out of every 4 students enter strategy consulting.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Followed by:4 members

by [email protected] » Fri May 23, 2014 10:31 pm
My aspirations:-
1.Operational Planning Head (10 years down the line)
2.I prefer to study in
a. USA
b. Europe
c. India
3.Frankly, I'm impatient. However, If I can instill confidence in me that I can make it to the top MBA programme, I will wait.

My Doubts:-
Q1. Should I re-take the Gmat?
Q2. Which is the best college to offer me best Operational Management course?
Q3. Will I make a good package for the top 30 B-schools?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sat May 24, 2014 6:58 am
Take a look at the average GMAT scores for London Business School - https://www.london.edu/programmes/msc/wh ... 4CyU_ldVZs. You see a 689. Therefore I would recommend for you to retake the GMAT to both (a) use a higher score for applying to select MiM programs and (b) use a higher score for subsequent MBA applications should you apply later, but within 5 years of your test date.

If you wish to go into Operational Planning you might wish to find an operations-based position now and then apply to MBA programs in a few years. At least, I would be asking very focused questions of my target schools' career offices. Looking at LBS' 2013 employment report (https://www.london.edu/assets/documents/ ... _Jan14.pdf) they do not even have a functional-based operations category.

Again, the more research you do the better.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:690

by Abhyank » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:40 pm
Hey Tanuj,

I am pretty sure you must have moved on and made your decision, but i hope my answer will help others who maybe have similar doubts.

Well you profile was very right for the MiM, most of the students on campus do have anywhere between 1-2 years work ex. The info that MiM is for people with 0 work exp or young graduates is very very inaccurate. It is a degree which is very similar to the MBA and has 60% of its curriculum matching to it. Infact more than 50% of the MiM students dont even feel the need to do an MBA later on in life. You can check out the full study here:
https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-student-pr ... urvey.html

Your GMAT was also pretty decent for the top MiM schools, though a little below than the 710 median mark for LBA or HEC, it would have still given you a fighting chance.

But then if your only aim is operations planning, many of the schools dont have any particular specializations for it and are more aligned to the main stream options such as Consulting, Marketing, Finance etc.You may have lots of electives dealing with supply chain and strategy, which will help you get into the operations sector.
If you are really passionate about Operations and only core operations maybe a MBA would give you a stronger chance.

Hope the answer helped.
You can find more info about the MiM in general at https://www.mim-essay.com/what-is-the-mim-.html

Regards,
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM-Essay.com

97% Success Rate| 7000+ Admits in Top Schools| 10 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 3X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:
https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appoi ... rm/?btgmat

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

MiM or MBA?

by GyanOne » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:31 pm
Here is a detailed response to your query.

An MBA or a Masters in Management? This is a question that almost every college senior comes across at some point of the application process when deciding on the future. The dilemma is clear: MBA v/s Masters in Management is essentially about whether one should one opt for the Masters in Management immediately after the undergraduate program or wait for a few years to apply for the MBA (For those wondering if there are any options to go for an MBA right after college, the answer is YES).

Outside the early entry options to top MBA programs, applicants therefore have two clear options - an MiM now or an MBA later. The confusion at this stage really stems from wondering whether the MiM is good enough to be a final degree and will substitute well enough for the MBA. Here are some points comparing the two programs (MiM v/s MBA) to give applicants a better picture of the key decision parameters:

- Academic content [the MBA is more advanced]: In terms of the academic skills and learning on offer, the MBA offers more advanced courses and more industry-centric opportunities (the HEC Master in Management is an exception in this regard - it is very comparable to an MBA). The MiM, in this regard, is considered to be less practical and more theoretical. This does not mean that the MiM is deficient in offering core business education, but only that some of the more advanced courses may not typically be available at MiM programs.

- Experience requirements and program length: While MiM programs do not require work experience, most MBA programs require at least two, and practically often more. This makes sense, given that the MiM is for early career professionals and the MBA for experienced professionals. Most MiM programs are an year long (although there are exceptions - the HEC MiM, for example, can take up to 3 years to complete), while typical MBA programs are two years long. This is changing though, and more one-year MBA options are rapidly being introduced (for more information, see GyanOne's analysis of the one year MBA in Asia, one year MBA in Europe, and one year MBA in the US). MBA v/s Masters in Management