Loosing Hope....Please help...

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Loosing Hope....Please help...

by anurag_7 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:57 am
Hello everyone,
This is my first post and it is not how I would have liked it to be. I always thought that my first post would be the story of my triumph over the GMAT. However, it has been the other way round. I have scheduled my GMAT on the 16th of May. I started my preparation in mid March and have been consistently scoring low scores which are as follows:

1) The Economist free CAT- 500 (Q35 V25) on 06.04.14
2) MGMAT CAT 1- 550 (Q40 V26) on 27.04.14
3) GMAT Prep 1- 520 (Q40 V21) on 04.05.14

That's not the only concern. I am unable to detect my weak points in Verbal. Initially I thought I only needed help in SC. So I used the MGMAT-SC and the E-GMAT to study and it paid off. My error % was reduced to half and I started to really enjoy the SC even if I got some questions wrong. But since then I have been making mistakes in RC and CR sections. I have prepared these sections from KAPLAN Premier-2014 and have got most of the questions from the book right especially in the CR section. Now I am left with all the three sections as my weak links. I am aiming for a verbal score of around 40.

In Quant section I have researched and found that most of my mistakes are silly mistakes that to only in the DS section. I am engineer by profession and maths has always been my strength. But the thing is that in the DS section I have been making silly errors and I am unable to find a way by which I can reduce them. I am aiming for a quant score of 50.

I have completed MGMAT guides for the SC and quant section and only CR and RC are left. I have also completed half of the OG 13th and whole of the KAPLAN Premier 2014. I have also decided to reschedule my GMAT appointment to the 1st week of August in order to have more preparation time to reach my target score (720+). Also I would like to know whether I should work only at getting all Quant ques. right initially and then move to work on my Verbal or study for both of them together.

Seeking your help!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon May 19, 2014 7:46 am
Let's talk about Data Sufficiency. You need to address those errors by being more careful and considering the possibilities for each question.

Here are some articles that can really change how you look at DS:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/10/ ... -handrails

https://www.beatthegmat.com/diagnose-you ... 75308.html

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/12/ ... ufficiency

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/11 ... technique/

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/1 ... -the-gmat/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 am
anurag_7 wrote:
In Quant section I have researched and found that most of my mistakes are silly mistakes that to only in the DS section. I am engineer by profession and maths has always been my strength. But the thing is that in the DS section I have been making silly errors and I am unable to find a way by which I can reduce them. I am aiming for a quant score of 50.
Everyone struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. This question type is totally unique to the GMAT, so it's foreign territory. If you're looking for some extra DS resources, we have a free set of videos that cover everything you need to know: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Also, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by anurag_7 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:54 am
@Brent @David Thanks for your immediate reply. Your articles were really helpful. To sum up what I learned is that in the DS section I need to do lots of practice, avoid mental calculations, start writing more and try to complete the question in 2 minutes.

However, I am still wondering how to tackle verbal section? Also I would like to know whether I should work on Quant section initially until I start getting my Quant target score and then move to work on my Verbal or study for both of them together.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 19, 2014 10:00 am
anurag_7 wrote:However, I am still wondering how to tackle verbal section? Also I would like to know whether I should work on Quant section initially until I start getting my Quant target score and then move to work on my Verbal or study for both of them together.
That might be a matter of preference. I like the idea of full immersion. That is, focusing on either quant or verbal only and working towards mastery before changing. That said, I recognize that some students prefer a blend of math and verbal to keep them from going crazy :-)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 am
Hi anurag_7,

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are many options to choose from, and they've all helped some Test Takers to succeed. The ultimate measure of a resource is if it helps YOU to succeed. You're scoring consistently in the low-500s; to hit your goals, you're going to have to make some significant adjustments, which might require you to invest in some new resources.

The immediate issue, which you've already figure out, is silly mistakes. The way to combat those errors is to write everything down and stay organized. Do NOT do work in your head. You might also be approaching questions in an overly "technical" way, which might make the silly mistakes more likely to occur. GMAT questions are written in such a way that they can typically be solved using several different methods. Using methods and tactics other than the ones you've been using might also help you to improve.

For overall study plans, I've always been a fan of the "some Quant, some Verbal" approach each week. If you choose to focus completely on one subject, then shift to the other, then you should start with the Verbal section. You have more work to do in that area.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by anurag_7 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 am
@Rich @Brent Thanks for your suggestions. Really appreciate your time.

I would also like to know how to proceed in Verbal. As mentioned above, I am not confident in any of the three sections namely SC, RC and CR and have got poor scores in all of them.

Also how should I make a study plan for around 80 days which includes both the quant and verbal practice and a test every weekend.