The federal rules aimed at protecting human

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.
A. must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would
B. must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel
C. are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel
D. will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would
E. would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would

my doubt : are we using "would" here because the sentence talks about the past tense "were established"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by abhasjha » Tue May 13, 2014 6:17 am
parallelism marker and is there ( and an independent panel ....)

so to account for better parallelism before the parallel element we use same words ... would be warned .... and than an independent panel would ...

the other choices do not follow parallelism ... so i don't think tense aspect is a issue .had there been other choice that used would then may be we will think of tense aspect ....

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 am
aditya8062 wrote:my doubt : are we using "would" here because the sentence talks about the past tense "were established"
One purpose of would is to express the FUTURE-IN-THE-PAST: a past action expected to occur AFTER ANOTHER PAST ACTION.
The federal rules were established to ensure that patients would be warned of potential risks.
Here, after the rules WERE ESTABLISHED (in the past), the patients WOULD BE WARNED (sometime AFTER the rules were established).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3