No of attempts in GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

No of attempts in GMAT

by saranshpuri » Wed May 07, 2014 8:42 am
Hello,

I have recently given a gmat exam and i have scored 650 . This was my third attempt. As i was expecting a score of 700 + , i am quite disappointed with my score and plans to give one more attempt.
I have questions related to no of attempts one can give.
Does multiple attempts affect the chances of admission and do colleges consider only highest scores in the GMAT.
i believe i can score above 700 , but somehow i hav'nt got good GMAT score in earlier attempts. So I am thinking of one more attempt.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 am
Hi saranshpuri,

First off, a 650 is a solid score (right around the 80th percentile), so you're scoring well above average. This score would get you a good look at most US Business Schools, so you might not need to retest.

Most Business Schools don't really care how many times you take the GMAT, as long as there's some measurable improvement. While each school has its own process for evaluating an applicant who took the GMAT multiple times, conventional wisdom says that most schools will consider your most recent GMAT score when evaluating your application.

If you have questions about a specific school or program, you might consider posting in the Admissions Sub-Forum (on this site). The Experts there should be able to provide some insight.

You mentioned 3 attempts at the GMAT. What were your scores (and Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal sections)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by saranshpuri » Wed May 07, 2014 11:44 am
First Attempt : 630( Q 49, V 27)
Second Attempt : 640 ( q 49 , V 28)
Third Attempt : 650 ( Q 50 , V 30)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed May 07, 2014 11:35 pm
Hi saranshpuri,

Your scores are remarkably consistent, which means that unless you make some type of adjustment to your Verbal tactics, you will likely score in the same general range (650 +/- 30 points).

What resources have you used during your studies?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]