Wallaby - Kaplan

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Wallaby - Kaplan

by sparkles3144 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:38 pm
Like most other marsupial species and all other kangaroo species, the diet of the swamp wallaby consists of leaves and other sorts of vegetation.

A. Like most other marsupial species and all other kangaroo species, the diet of the swamp wallaby consists
B. Like those of most other marsupial species and all other kangaroo species, the diets of the swamp wallaby consists
C. Just like the diet of most other marsupial species and all other kangaroo species, the diet of the swamp wallaby consists
D. Similar to the diets of most other marsupial species and all other kangaroo species, the swamp wallabies consists
E. Like most other marsupial species and all other kangaroo species, the swamp wallaby has a diet consisting

Answer E

Why is C wrong?
Kaplan's explanation:
C should be eliminated because in the introductory phrase "diet" should be plural.
Why should it be diets instead of diet?

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:40 pm
C is wrong because of wrong construction
the correct construction is "just as X, Y" or "just as X, so Y"
"just like X ,Y" is a wrong construction
out of given choices only B and E are parallel however B faults on incorrect subject-verb agreement.hence E is the answer

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Sat May 03, 2014 11:59 pm
Like is used when we compare nouns, not while comparing clauses.
In C, the diet of X is compared with diet of Y using like, which is wrong.

A-> Marsupial species and Kangaroo species are compared with diets of.. ->Wrong
B-> SVA error
C->Using like to compare is wrong, it should be "as"
D-> Diets of X are compared to Y ->wrong
E-> correct

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by wolfmarc » Sun May 04, 2014 10:39 am
Hey guys, please correct me if I am wrong.

Besides the SVA issue on answer choice B, I spot another issue with it, but I want to be sure of it.

B. Like those of most other marsupial species and all other kangaroo species, the diets of the swamp wallaby consists

does "those of most" apply to "all other kangaroo" as well? Creating an awkward sentence "those of most all other kangaroo".

generally if there's a verb referring to both parallelism's items I can group it up. Does this work here too?

can anyone shed some light please?

thanks in advance.