Critical reasoning.Didnt understand the OG answer explanatio

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of school nurses employed by Renston's elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.

B. Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.

C. Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

D. The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.

E. Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston's population now than they did ten years ago.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 04, 2014 3:12 am
Divya Ann Chacko wrote:Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of school nurses employed by Renston's elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.

B. Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.

C. Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

D. The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.

E. Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston's population now than they did ten years ago.
Premise: The proportion of schoolchildren SENT TO THE NURSE for treatment of allergic reactions to certain chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years.
Conclusion: Either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

The conclusion suggests two possible explanations for the increase in the proportion of students sent to the nurse:
1) Greater chemical exposure.
2) Greater chemical sensitivity.
The assumption is that there is NO OTHER POSSIBLE EXPLANATION.

Apply the NEGATiON TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.

Answer choice C, negated:
Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are MORE LIKELY TO BE SENT TO A SCHOOL NURSE now than they were ten years ago.
The negation of C offers an alternate explanation for the increase in the proportion of students sent to the nurse:
Over the past ten years, students with allergic reactions have become MORE LIKELY TO BE SENT TO A SCHOOL NURSE -- invalidating the conclusion that the increase is due to greater chemical exposure or greater chemical sensitivity.

The correct answer is C.

Reasons to eliminate:

A:
The number of school NURSES has no bearing on the proportion of STUDENTS sent to the nurse.
Eliminate A.

B:
The passage is about allergic reactions to CERTAIN CHEMICALS.
Allergic reactions to OTHER SUBSTANCES is beyond the scope of the argument.
Eliminate B.

D:
The negation of D implies that the students are being exposed to the chemicals at home, possibly STRENGTHENING the conclusion that greater exposure is to blame for the increase in the proportion of students sent to the nurse.
Since the negation of the correct answer choice must INVALIDATE the conclusion, eliminate D.

E:
The composition of the entire population has no bearing on the proportion of students sent to the nurse.
Eliminate E.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed May 13, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun May 04, 2014 3:48 am
This is an assumption question, it is also a cause and effect question. The effect that has been observed and cannot be contradicted is that more children are going to the school nurse. Now the speculation is about the cause. The conclusion says that the cause is either "children have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than school children were ten yrs ago."

So, in order for that to be the cause, we are assuming that we do not have a more logical or compelling cause. If this were a weaken question you would get another, better cause. Since this is an assumption we want to rule out other causes. Choice C mentions a possible alternative cause and then assures us that it is not present. "Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were 10 yrs ago." Ruling out this alternative cause is necessary for the two causes mention to be the ONLY causes.

For assumption questions in general...

Mitch has mentioned the Assumption Negation Technique. Here are a couple of other ways to see assumption questions. Please use the technique or techniques that work best for you!

If there is a clear logical gap then you can certainly jump on that one. Here is an article that discusses critical reasoning and specifically how to spot those "gaps in logic" that gughanbose mentioned. https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/02/ ... ng-ability

Let me also take slightly different angle. This next article talks about doing assumption questions where you DO NOT spot a gap. On assumptions you will not always see the gap. If you do not then you can approach the question using the "infomercial technique" described here.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/06/ ... -an-expert

Don't over think it. Remember the essence is that you are just looking for the answer that is required by the argument!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Divya Ann Chacko » Sun May 04, 2014 9:33 am
Dear Guruny,
How the negating the correct answer choice invalidates the conclusion? I didnt understand that. Here Negating the correct answer is strengthening the conclusion rite?? Can you explain it further more. Actually I want to understand the idea.

Thanks
Divya

by Divya Ann Chacko » Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 am
Dear David,
Thank you for the explanation. I understood that infomercial test. Also i want to know whether negation can be applied here or not?

Thanks
Divya