Must have vocabulary for GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Must have vocabulary for GMAT

by kamenikt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:35 pm
Hello,
my name is Tomas and I am fro the Czech Republic, currently I am studying in the US. My dream is to get into some great business university. I have about 2 years before taking the GMAT, but I know that my English vocabulary is really weak.

I planned to try to memorize about 3 words/day, which could give me a lot in two years, but I read many discouraging opinions about memorizing vocabulary. So my question is, how should I approach my problem of weak English vocabulary. IS there any list of "Must know" words if I want to take GMAT.

Is there the same thing for grammar?

Time is on my side, so I want to be sure that I have good base in strong English by the time when I will start studying for GMAT.

Thank you very much!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:51 pm
Hi kamenikt,

Having 2 years of lead-time before taking your GMAT puts you in something of a unique position - you have plenty of time to learn to the content of the GMAT, so that when you're ready to study GMAT-specific questions, you can focus on the tactics.

Based on what you've written, I think that you understand English just fine. The GMAT isn't really a 'vocabulary test' - vocabulary IS a factor in taking the GRE though. To build your "english skills", you should practice English grammar and read respectable english magazines/newspapers (The Wall Street Journal, US News & World Report, etc.) so you can learn how strong writers present their ideas. During that time, you can also review the math concepts, formulas, etc. that the GMAT tests.

When you're ready to study for the GMAT itself, this is absolutely the website to come back to for advice, tactics, recommendations, etc.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:37 am
Hi Kamenikt,
Yep- you're right. You probably don't want to study straight vocabulary for the GMAT. Your time would be better spend reading and learning vocabulary in a more natural way as Rich suggested. Keep in mind that when reading you are better off going through news articles than reading novels. This is because GMAT passages are more similar to news articles, especially those articles found in the opinion section.

As for grammar, I like the Manhattan GMAT book, but there are probably other good GMAT grammar books out there.

Good luck!
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT