Help in dissecting the parts of speech for a starter

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have a question in dissecting the parts of speech for the below sentence. I'm new to this forum. I was trying to apply the logic of PREP + NOUN + VERB-ing to the below sentence :

She has discovered that sloths effectively tape their internal organs to their ribs and hips, preventing them from pressing down on the lungs.

to - preposition
ribs - noun
and - conjunction
hips - noun
preventing - Verb in -ing format.

Does PREP + NOUN + VERB-ing logic apply to the above sentence ?
I'm just starting off with GMAT and was already into it for 3 weeks now. I was reading an article ( trying to improve my reading skills and found this at nat geo website) in a magazine and thought, this can be applied for what I'm learning. :)
Also, I will be thankful if I have a couple of examples similar to the above one.

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:41 pm
rj4546 wrote:I have a question in dissecting the parts of speech for the below sentence. I'm new to this forum. I was trying to apply the logic of PREP + NOUN + VERB-ing to the below sentence :

She has discovered that sloths effectively tape their internal organs to their ribs and hips, preventing them from pressing down on the lungs.

to - preposition
ribs - noun
and - conjunction
hips - noun
preventing - Verb in -ing format.

Does PREP + NOUN + VERB-ing logic apply to the above sentence ?
I'm just starting off with GMAT and was already into it for 3 weeks now. I was reading an article ( trying to improve my reading skills and found this at nat geo website) in a magazine and thought, this can be applied for what I'm learning. :)
Also, I will be thankful if I have a couple of examples similar to the above one.

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

the "VERB+ING" in the above sentence is acting as a Adverbial Modifier. An Adverbial Modifier modifies the complete preceding clause..
For example: Cause-Effect causes
A Ship containing oil containers sank in the sea, polluting the water.
R A H U L