Better At DS than PS

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Better At DS than PS

by bml1105 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 pm
I found that I'm much better at Data Sufficiency questions versus Problem Solving questions. Has anyone been in the same position and found a way to improve in PS?

I think it's weird since DS are more about the broad concepts of math, which I think would be harder than the math. Of course, some of my PS problems are faulty/careless math and I know I just need to work on being more careful and quickly rechecking math. Other times, it's the concept of the problem solving question. However, if they test the same concept in DS, I get it right.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 pm
Hi bml1105,

When you say that you're MUCH better at DS than PS, what are you using as your basis for comparison? Are you better when doing random homework assignments or quizzes? Are you better when you take practice CATs? If you could fix the faulty/careless math mistakes that you referenced, would you still be doing significantly better on DS than PS?

What have your Quant Scaled Scores been on your practice CATS?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:57 am
bml1105 -

I am actually in the same boat that you are in. On my last official exam, a 770 score, I had to guess at several problem solving questions. On the other hand I would be shocked if I missed more than 1 or 2 Data Sufficiency for the whole exam.

The difference is that Data Sufficiency is very much more like critical reasoning. It is important to consider certain possibilities, like different number properties. If you have a pretty logical mind and are good at critical reasoning you might just be better at Data Sufficiency.

Problem Solving, on the other hand, is just different. When you say "Other times, it's the concept of the problem solving question. However, if they test the same concept in DS, I get it right."

I have the same issue. It may be that on Data Sufficiency it is enough to "know" that you can do something - such as solve that geometry problem - without having to actually fully solve it.

You should not worry about be being better at Data Suff it is only natural for some people. On problem solving there will likely always be some problems that you know can be solved but you just cannot do it right then. That is okay. Clean up the silly mistakes on those problem solving and work toward getting the best score you can on problem solving. You can get a great score on the exam and even on the Quant while still having to guess at several problem solving problems.

Just do the best that you can. And congrats on being good at Data Sufficiency, in my opinion it says great things about you!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by bml1105 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:22 am
Thanks David! Critical reasoning is definitely my best subject. I still have a month and a half before my exam, so there is time to realize and improve those problem solving skills and clean up the sloppy math.

Rich,so far I've only taken two CATS (full test AWA, IR, Quant & Verbal) under timed situations.

CAT #1 (Veritas) - 590 (Q37/V41)
For Quant specifically: 57% correct overall, 73% correct DS, 45% correct PS

CAT #2 (Kaplan) - 600 (to be honest, I can't find the breakdown in the Kaplan dashboard - it's just confusing to me -, but I'm at the 74 percentile for Verbal and 54 percentile for Quant).
For Quant specifically: 46% correct overall, 53% correct DS, 41% correct PS

My other observations have been from working the 60-Day Study Plan and inputting my answer's into the Error Log. Except in Arithmetic, all my other categories so far are at least 10% higher correct for DS than PS.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 am
I knew it!

Critical reasoning is my best subject as well and Data Sufficiency is much more enjoyable than Problem Solving.

So the good news is that you can still get a great score. 6 weeks left until test day is plenty of time to improve that problem solving (and as you do your data sufficiency will get even better as you clean up all the little "math" issues that you might still be having even on data sufficiency).

You know now would be a good time to take a GMATPrep official practice test just to make sure that you are seeing those same results with official questions.

You can download the GMATPrep software at MBA.com. The tools on the Veritas exams are much more helpful than on the GMATPrep but the GMATPrep uses official retired questions so you want to see how you do on those.

Let us know how you do on that official practice test and keep working on that problem solving!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by bml1105 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 am
I actually started studying and going through the MGMAT guides in December and January, but work got the best of me in February and March.

I started again at the beginning of April and I'm on the 60 Day-Study Plan by Brent, focusing on the practice questions in the OG Review, OG Quant and OG Verbal (when I get there) and reviewing chapters of the MGMAT guide when needed. According to the schedule, I don't take another Practice CAT until next Sunday, after I finish the Math portion of the study plan. Is that too late? Also, I was considering saving the two GMAT Prep tests for the end since those are supposedly more accurate. Is that not a good strategy?

Sorry for questioning your previous advice, I'm just a set schedule person so changing something I have planned out always requires a little extra push.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 am
bml1105 wrote:According to the schedule, I don't take another Practice CAT until next Sunday, after I finish the Math portion of the study plan. Is that too late? Also, I was considering saving the two GMAT Prep tests for the end since those are supposedly more accurate. Is that not a good strategy?
Next Saturday is only not that far away - I think it's safe to wait. After all, it's still early in the 60-Day Study Guide. Later on, once you've learned all of the content, you will be taking LOTS of practice tests.

Yes, the official tests are the most accurate. Later on, if you're nearing your test date and you still haven't achieved your target score and you want to take some additional practice tests, you can always purchase the extra (official) practice tests.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:10 pm
As Brent said, you can certainly stick to the schedule. Next Sunday is not far away.

Veritas Prep Reviews