Gmat Overview of the administration of the test

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I've gotten information going both ways on this topic. During the test are we provided a pen or pencils and paper or are we required to use the dry erase boards? Also, if there are any other inconvenient possibilities I'd like to know before hand if anyone has some suggestions. BTW, I have looked at many resources for this information but it seems to vary. Thanks.

D

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:24 pm
Hi crisprin117,

Situations may vary in non-US Testing Centers, but in US Pearson Centers, the process is fairly standardized. You'll receive a dry-erase pad (6 sheets, double sided - the front of the first sheet has instructions printed on it) and a dry-erase marker. At any point during the test, you may exchange the note board (or pen) for a new one, but you will have to hand over the old one.

If you want to make the exchange during the exam, then your timer will continue to run. My advice is to exchange your pad during one of your 8-minute breaks, so you won't have to wait for the Moderator to come to you.

It's possible that an individual Center may be low on supplies on a given day. If that's the case, then you'll be given something to write with and something to write on. Try not to let an inconsistency such as this affect your mindset.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:13 pm
I would be shocked to learn that any center gave pencil and paper.

GMAC is more concerned about keeping their questions secret than just about anything else - other than verifying the identity of test taker.

It is very difficult to account for every sheet of paper so questions could be smuggled out.

Expect to use a dry erase and a marker as Rich has described above.

As a note...If anyone is ever given paper during a GMAT exam I would love to hear about it!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by bml1105 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:45 pm
This may be a silly question, my first (and hopefully only) test date isn't till June, but if it's a dry erase board couldn't you just wipe and erase it, instead of getting a new board?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:44 pm
I misspoke -- it is not a dry erase but a "wet erase" board.

You cannot erase it in any feasible way during the exam.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by bml1105 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:46 pm
Oh ok, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by crisprin117 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 am
Thanks for the input, I've been using a pencil and paper and my style will need a little tweaking in using a wet erase board. I will get some similar materials to practice with.

by bml1105 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm
Is it really that different on test day with the wet erase board? I would think the only issue would be that you can't erase. Instead, you'd have to cross something out. Right?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:41 pm
bml1105 wrote:Is it really that different on test day with the wet erase board? I would think the only issue would be that you can't erase. Instead, you'd have to cross something out. Right?
The tactile experience is a little different than pen and paper...the marker on the dry-erase sheet is much more slippery than pen on paper. It's not a major problem, but given that comfort with the test can be a big factor, it's worth practicing ahead of time.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test