usage of having been

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

usage of having been

by Blue_Skies » Mon May 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Nuclear testing on the planet is regulated by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban-Treaty, which was signed in 1996 by 71 states and prohibits all nuclear explosions, disallows scientific research, and is providing guidelines for proper handling of radioactive material to protect the environment.

A) which was signed in 1996 by 71 states and prohibits all nuclear explosions, disallows scientific research, and is providing guidelines for proper handling of radioactive material to protect the environment.
B) which was signed in 1996 by 71 states and prohibits all nuclear explosions, disallows scientific research, and provides guidelines for proper handling of radioactive material to protect the environment.
C) which, had being signed in 1996 by 71 states, prohibits all nuclear explosions, disallows scientific research, and guidelines for proper handling of radioactive material to protect the environment.
D) which was signed in 1996 by 71 states prohibiting all nuclear explosions, and disallowing scientific research and the radioactive material's proper handling guidelines to protect the environment.
E) having been signed in 1996 by 71 states and prohibits all nuclear explosions, disallows scientific research, and provides guidelines for proper handling of radioactive material to protect the environment.

The answer is B , but i want to discuss option E. Is having been wrong here? i eliminated this answer because it's an incomplete thought. Treaty having been blah blah and prohibit .... is incorrect. Please help.

Thanks,
Blue

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 am
Having been is typically only used in introductory clauses. In this case, 'which' is better used because it clearly defines the Treaty as what was signed in 1996.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm
When you have an action and a specific time mentioned, we should use only simple past tense for that action. Perfect tense is wrong. Eliminate C and E

D and A - ||ism error

Hence B !

by saranshpuri » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 am
I had a doubt over B. i think we need which before prohibits to make the relative clause parallel.
which was signed.. and which X,Y and Z.

Please clarify my doubts.

B looks like prohibits is the verb of Subject Nuclear Test

by 6983manish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 am
Blue Skies.....I also had the same doubt!

Found understandable usage rules within one of the old BTG posts itself.

Usage if "having been" is more than just time sequence, though. ilke other -ING modifiers, this one also requires some sort of relationship between the completion of the activity mentioned in the modifier and whatever action is mentioned in the main clause.

for instance:
having finished all his errands, carlos settled into bed for a nice nap.
--> this is logical; carlos can settle in for a nap because he's done with all his errands, so there's a relationship to justify the use of a modifier.

having finished all his errands, carlos called his wife to find out when she was arriving at the airport.
--> not logical, since this phone call has nothing to do with whether carlos has finished his errands.

--

Quote:
for eg: having been denied a promotion, the worker resigned (resignation after the denial)
this makes sense, but it's somewhat unlikely that you'll use this sort of construction with the passive voice.
instead, you'd just use the passive participle by itself:
denied a promotion, the worker resigned.

with the ACTIVE voice, however, there are fewer ways to get around using this construction, so you'll see it more often in such scenarios. (note my example above, written in the active.)

in any case, "having" is like "being" in the sense that choices containing it are more often incorrect than correct. however, both of these words are certainly correct at times, so it's important to understand these uses.

UNQUOTE

Hope it helps!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Abhishek009 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:10 am
" Having been " is the past participle form and used to emphasize that a first action has been completed before the second action begins.

Here is -

Signing CTBT ------- > Prohibit nuclear explosions + Guidelines for proper handling of radioactive material.

thus we can find that signing of CTBT brought into picture prohibition and Guidelines , hence Having been looks good here...
Abhishek

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:48 am
A quick lesson on VERBing modifiers:

An introductory VERBing modifier implies CONTEMPORANEOUS ACTION: an action happening at the same time as the main verb.
SITTING at the kitchen table, John ATE his dessert.
Here, SITTING implies CONTEMPORANEOUS action -- an action happening as John ATE.
Note:
While the VERBing modifier technically is an adjective modifying the subject John, it also plays an adverbial role, providing context for how John ATE his dessert.

An introductory HAVING + VERBed modifier implies PRIOR ACTION: an action completed before the main verb.
HAVING FINISHED his dessert, John LEFT the table.
Here, HAVING FINISHED implies PRIOR ACTION -- an action completed before John LEFT the table.
Note:
While the HAVING + VERBed modifier technically is an adjective modifying the subject John, it also plays an adverbial role, providing context for how John LEFT the table.

Note also the following:
When these sorts of modifiers are preceded by a COMMA, they refer not to the preceding noun but to the PRECEDING SUBJECT.
E: Nuclear testing on the planet is regulated by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban-Treaty, having been signed in 1996 by 71 states.
Here, having been signed seems to refer to nuclear testing (the preceding subject), implying that NUCLEAR TESTING was SIGNED in 1996.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3