GMAT didn't work - Application Deadlines Loom

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Today I took a half day off work to take the GMAT. I arrived at the Pearson Vue center in Sandy Springs, GA 30 minutes before my scheduled test time, as suggested. I was promptly assisted and led to my station. When the instructor tried to log me in, there was a "critical error" and I was unable to take the test. After an hour and a half (4:30) and no luck with having the test work, I decided to leave as the IT help said he had tried everything. I was provide with an incident number.

After months of study and prep to get my best score, the test doesn't work. For $250 you think the kinks would be worked out. I called the support center and they said I must wait 3-5 days for this to be investigated.

Whole situation is frustrating as I need my scores for application deadlines. Also, I now won't be able to retake test in time if I don't get the score I had wanted.

Has this ever happened to anyone you seen before?

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:11 am
Sorry to hear this happened, Joe. We have contacted Pearson Vue on your behalf. Someone should contact you today to discuss the situation. Please let me know if you do not hear from someone.

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:54 am
Hey joeatl123 -- bummer that you encountered problems at the test center (it's unusual but it does happen sometimes). It can definitely rattle the nerves on something so important. Hopefully it gets worked out right away so you can still test in time for your apps.

The reason we're writing is to encourage you to proceed with those apps regardless of the score -- well, depending on which schools we're talking about at least. For some top-top schools, an app at this point of the season is going to be very difficult to get accepted no matter what, so we don't actually recommend applying to those (schools like Columbia or Stanford). But for many other schools, and also for part-time programs, they could still have some space available, and if your score is decent and your profile is otherwise strong (with good essays!) then it might still work out. So don't let this faze you.

If you want to PM us with more details on which schools/programs you're trying for, we can offer more specific suggestions on a strategy. (We don't normally post to this thread since it's specifically for the very nice GMAT test people to help with questions like yours and we don't think consultants belong here, but we wanted to pipe up with some encouragement for your situation. :-) )

Anyway, good luck on the GMAT and now you get a few more days of studying!!! That's always useful! :-D

EssaySnark
joeatl123 wrote:Today I took a half day off work to take the GMAT. I arrived at the Pearson Vue center in Sandy Springs, GA 30 minutes before my scheduled test time, as suggested. I was promptly assisted and led to my station. When the instructor tried to log me in, there was a "critical error" and I was unable to take the test. After an hour and a half (4:30) and no luck with having the test work, I decided to leave as the IT help said he had tried everything. I was provide with an incident number.

After months of study and prep to get my best score, the test doesn't work. For $250 you think the kinks would be worked out. I called the support center and they said I must wait 3-5 days for this to be investigated.

Whole situation is frustrating as I need my scores for application deadlines. Also, I now won't be able to retake test in time if I don't get the score I had wanted.

Has this ever happened to anyone you seen before?
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!