Which books are better in order of importance

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I know official guides are extremely important but other then that please tell which are important for test takers.

Manhattan Stratgy Guides 10 books
Kaplan Gmat Premier
Kaplan 800

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 pm
Hi gmateasy,

Are you asking because you're considering purchasing some (or all) of these books or are you asking because you have all 3 and you're trying to decide which one(s) to start with?

There's no "wrong" answer to this question, but you might find the MGMAT books to be slightly easier to absorb (since they're smaller and focused on individual subjects).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:43 am
Don't get all of them!

It is better to decide to not clutter your mind with too many takes on the same thing.

In the end you have to make the GMAT your own. You should be using study guides as a way to help you to develop the tactics and techniques you will use. You are taking the exam, you are the key element here. Yes the GMAT can be studied for and learned but you are still the one taking it. Work with a book and if some technique does not work for you or does not make sense to you then look for a different explanation or a different way.

I mean I could say get the Veritas Prep books since they are more thorough, have more practice problems, and have special features like a dedicated Advanced Data Sufficiency book. But even if you do work with the best study guides it still has to be you in the test center.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by gmateasy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:04 am
Rick:

Yes, I've all Manhattan, official guides, Kaplan 800, Gmat Premier.

I'm studying Manhattan guides all and official guides all and then I'll do Kaplan 800.

I agree with Rick on that as a lot of people told me Manhattan are specialize, and easy to understand.

I heard from some people that Kaplan Premier 2013 is not better then Manhattan.

Vertias prep books are out of equation as I dont have and not buying anymore.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:06 pm
My point was not that you should specifically buy the Veritas books - whatever books you have are fine - in fact my point was that you have to take ownership of your studying and make it your own.

People say "I studied all 10 of these books and still got a 560." Okay but what did you do when studying? Did you fight for the knowledge? A good study guide is a must, but what you do with it makes all of the difference.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by gmateasy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:00 pm
I see your point Mr. David.