CAT's

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

CAT's

by gmat1981 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:50 am
Anytime when we attempt a cat second time do we see same questions or a different sets of questions.

I'm asking this question because I'm preparing and early stages in my studies and I want to confirm this if we see different answers when we attempt CATS for the second time. Like in manhattan, Kaplan, Gmat Prep etc.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:58 pm
Hi gmat1981,

Since any practice CAT that you might use is based on a limited "pool" of questions, if you retake a CAT then you WILL see some questions that you have already answered. The overall Test will also include a number of new questions (since it should still be using a Randomizer to choose your next question and your correct/incorrect answers will effect what comes next), but the overall experience will NOT be realistic, since you won't end up having to deal with a full-length Test full of unique questions that you hadn't seen before.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:31 pm
As Rich says, the CATS (the official GMATPrep tests in particular) draw questions from a pool of questions, so you WILL see duplicate questions (but not many). I my opinion, it's worth taking the GMATPrep tests more than once.

If you're interested, I wrote an article for BTG on this topic: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by gmateasy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:09 pm
I'll retake 4 cats from MBA.com which includes 2 free and 2 which I'll buy twice each.

For Manhattan 6 Cat's, Gmat Premier, Veritas, Princeton Review we should take 1 time only right.

Thanks for the reply again.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:09 pm
Definitely re-take the GMAC CATs -- you can never see too many 'official' questions.

I personally don't see any value in retaking any of the private companies tests. And really, at a certain point, taking 15+ CATs is just unnecessary. Really taking more than 1 a week is a bit extreme, IMO. Emphasize quality over quantity. For a first go-round, the 4 GMAT Preps and the 6 MGMAT CAT's should be plenty -- with maybe 1 or 2 Veritas Preps if necessary.

By the way, once you take the GMAT Preps 1, 2, 3, and 4, you can also find downloadable PDF files that contain all of those questions by question-type online (just search on Google) in case you want to make sure you've hit all of them. Here's the ones for RC in case you're interested.
Attachments
GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE RC.pdf
(1022.81 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE RC OA.pdf
(730.01 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by gmateasy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:14 pm
Thanks all.

@Vivian

I'm only attempting 1 cat a week while studying concepts.

In the last week I'll only focus on cats.

I think you're very right that I'm going for a lot of cats and thinking to remove Gmat Premier 5 cats, veritias free cat, princeton review free cats as its too many.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:41 pm
Let me just advise you that you might want some Variety in those CATs. There is not reason to take six M-GMAT CATs and not take even one of the other types. The new Veritas FREE CAT is very good and gives you another angle to look at things.

Take all of those official CATs that you can as Vivian said. But when you are taking unofficial CATs there is no reason not to mix in a variety of tests if they are of good quality and free. You may learn something from the diagnostic tools on the Veritas test that you did not learn from the other tests.

Good luck!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course