Best prep course for VERBAL

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Best prep course for VERBAL

by lenin1234 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:17 pm
Hello, this is my first post in beat the gmat website.I recently started preparing for GMAT. I completed basics for all the math topics required for gmat. Now i want to start preparing for VERBAL. I am very good at math and with more practice i have confidence that i will score very high in GMAT math. But i am not good in VERBAL, so i want to start from beginners level and improve from there. Frankly i don't even know where to start preparing for VERBAL. So i decided in joining a prep course. I was hoping you would tell me which prep course is best for VERBAL (i don't mind if that prep course is not so good in math). I have time on my side , so i am aiming for more than 730. I will base my decision mostly on your suggestions. Thanks for help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:51 pm
Hi lenin1234,

How long have you been prepping for the GMAT? Have you taken any practice CATs yet? If so, then what were your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal section? Those numbers will give us a sense of how much work you need to do. If you haven't taken one yet, you can download 2 for FREE (from www.mba.com). Plan to take a full-length test and report back with your scores.

How much time do you have to study? When are you planning to take your Official GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lenin1234 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:27 pm
Hello Rich.

Thanks for your response, i didn't take any practice tests. I will try to take one during the weekend. The reason i didn't take one is because its been only 2 weeks since i decided to write GMAT, and i don't know anything about GMAT before that. So thought of waiting until i get some basic knowledge about most of the topics.

I will take the official GMAT in september, i can spend 2-3 hours on GMAT during weekdays and more during weekends.

Naveen.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 am
Hi Naveen,

Most Test Takers find the first few practice CATs they take to be challenging. Those experiences are important though, since we need to learn about how you perform under pressure. It's okay if you don't know some of the material and you'll likely have pacing problems. We need as much info as we can get on your "process", so that we can start to look at the big picture (and not just if you know your math and grammar rules).

A September Test Date gives you plenty of time to prepare, so you should plan to proceed in a diligent, planned-out manner.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 am
Hello, Naveen. It sounds as if you are taking all the right steps to prepare for the GMAT exam! That is great. Please note that this forum thread is for asking questions to GMAC, the makers of the GMAT exam. Unfortunately, we cannot recommend specific prep courses. You may want to try the Official Guide to Verbal Review: https://www.mba.com/verbalreview2?CID=13 ... ID=80.0027 for extra practice with verbal questions. I also suggest you repost your question to one of the main forum threads. Other students will be able to help you with more specific suggestions. Good luck!

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!