Reading Comprehension Individual Passages are Adaptive?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I was wondering if each individual RC passages are accompanied by a set of adaptive questions, if the passages and questions are adaptive together but not the questions, or if its a mix of both. Anyone have an idea?

-D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm
The passage and the questions are all selected at one time. So the questions do not adapt within the passage.

The passage is of a range of difficulties - so a passage could work with, for example, 650 to 700.

The questions then make the difficulty more specific. So there might be 8 questions that go with a passage (you can tell this by the OG 13 which has 6 to 8 questions per passage) and only, say, 4 will be offered to a particular student.

So the more difficult questions will make the passage closer to a 700 and the easier questions will make it a 650. Some of the questions ask for the same information in slightly different ways (again, look at the OG 13 for examples). For this reason the test can only ask you either question A (the more difficult of the two) or question B (the easier one). They cannot ask both since the same information answers both questions.

So the passage and all of the questions with that passage are selected at once.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by crisprin117 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 am
Thanks for the reply, I'm seeing what you were talking about in the OG 13. I would like to ask if the questions increase in difficulty with their question #. IE a passage comes with 8 questions and the difficulty increases.Probably not the most useful of information but I'm still curious.

-D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 am
No. This is not true.

You will notice on most passages that the initial question is a primary purpose. This is not the easiest question, just the one that they want to ask you first. You see if they were to ask the primary purpose question last you could sort of figure it out from the other questions. By asking it first, they see if you understand the passage from your read through. So the passages are generally in an order of increasing difficulty, but the questions within the passage are not. They have their own logic.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by crisprin117 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:03 am
Thanks that was very helpful.