Followed by:4 members

Veritas

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:46 pm
it wud be nice if u can paste this question as it becomes easy to answer
nevertheless here is my take
C uses the singular verb "has" correctly for the the "which" referent --->"Denmark"
however i do find that this question has some inherent fault .all answers are using "countries like Denmark" .i feel it sud be "countries such as Denmark"
now parallelism in C is better than option A

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:54 pm
{A} - INCORRECT; "have" SVA error.. Denmark is Singular
{B} - INCORRECT; part after "and" is missing Verb.
{C} - CORRECT
{D} - INCORRECT; "have" SVA error.. Denmark is Singular
{E} - INCORRECT; "have" SVA error.. Denmark is Singular
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:32 pm
This question is from the Veritas Free Question Bank. Here is the question:

In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia, U.S. companies are looking to avoid the attention brought on by moving to such obvious tax shelters as Belize, and taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force.

A) Belize, and taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force

B) Belize, and by taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark that also have a highly skilled work force

C) Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also has a highly skilled work force

D) Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force

E) Belize, and are taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force

And here is the explanation from the question bank:

"This sentence correction problem is primarily concerned with sentence construction and tricky subject-verb agreement. You need to make sure that the multiple parts of the sentence are properly linked together and that there is proper agreement in the "which" clause at the end. Any time you are dealing with errors of sentence construction, the technique of slash-and-burn is particularly useful. In (A), there are two main errors: the structure "looking to avoid...and taking" is not parallel or logical (should be "looking to avoid and take") and the verb "have" after the "which" clause is also incorrect as it should be singular. The subject for that verb is the singular Denmark - the noun right beside it - and that is clear because only a country would have "a highly skilled work force", not countries. (B) contains this same agreement error as (A) - should be "has" not "have" - and the "by taking" is also incorrect as it is erroneously and illogically making that part of the sentence parallel to "by moving". (C) gets the parallelism correct: "U.S. companies are looking to avoid.....and take " Also only (C) uses the correct "has" in the which clause at the end. (D) and (E) both contain the agreement error with "have" discussed above and are thus incorrect. Answer is (C)."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by conquistador » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:19 am
KapilVarshney wrote:I think I got every other part correct except the has/have.

C.) Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also has a highly skilled work force
D.)Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force

From the discussion above I understand that "has" has to conform with "Denmark" which is supposedly the subject here. And therefore, C is the correct option.

Can anyone explain me how would have we constructed the statement given "countries" was the subject?

Thanks.
The subject for that verb is the singular Denmark - the noun right beside it - and that is clear because only a country would have "a highly skilled work force", not countries.

I suppose the statement with countries as subject would be
Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries, each of which also has a highly skilled work force

Please verify the official solution posted by mshrek above.(we can thus avoid duplicate posts)

David am I right in this case. Any discussion or suggestions are most welcome. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:51 am
Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries, each of which also has a highly skilled work force

Please verify the official solution posted by mshrek above.(we can thus avoid duplicate posts)

David am I right in this case. Any discussion or suggestions are most welcome. Smile
Well, the sentence would probably specify which countries: "more favorable conditions in similar countries" or "European countries," but grammatically, sure, that's a valid construction.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by conquistador » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:16 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:

David am I right in this case. Any discussion or suggestions are most welcome. Smile
Well, the sentence would probably specify which countries: "more favorable conditions in similar countries" or "European countries," but grammatically, sure, that's a valid construction.
you mean to say that instead of each of which I can simply use Which to refer the plural noun countries.
or in that case
what happens to OE by u as below
The subject for that verb is the singular Denmark - the noun right beside it - and that is clear because only a country would have "a highly skilled work force", not countries.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:56 am
Mechmeera wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:

Well, the sentence would probably specify which countries: "more favorable conditions in similar/i] countries" or "European countries," but grammatically, sure, that's a valid construction.

you mean to say that instead of each of which I can simply use Which to refer the plural noun countries.
or in that case
what happens to OE by u as below

I wasn't clear there :)

I meant that, using your example, one might write: "Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in [insert modifier here] countries, each of which also has a highly skilled work force

The idea is that we'd want to specify what subset of countries we're referring to.

Veritas Prep Reviews