GMAT study in 3 months full time or study full time 3 weeks

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I met a guy who studied gmat in 3 months, 12 weeks all manhattan and official guides, studying 4 hours a day on weekdays and 8 hours each on weekend so that 36 hours a week. 36 hours * 12 weeks = 432 hours and he got 730 in gmat.

I also met a student who studied gmat on a full time basis for 3 weeks, 21 days 18 hours a day, not working just studying.

My question is that I I follow 2nd student option as I've exam on April 25, will it produce result of 730.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by KevinRocci » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 am
Howdy GMATEasy!

I'd be happy to help! :)

The first thing that I will say is that each student needs to craft their own study plan. It is helpful to hear how others prepared and learn from their experience. But it is important to remember that each student begins in a different place. It's not like we all start at zero, study, and then reach a certain level. It is variable and that means that each student has to account for their own level when crafting a plan.

The first thing you need to do is figure out where you are starting. I recommend taking a practice test to find out what your level is. The GMAT Prep software is free and made by the test makers so this will be the best way to determine what your estimated score would be. Here is a link for the software:

https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/pre ... tware.aspx

Now depending on your level, you'll know how long you will need to study. If you are in the 500 range you will need to do a lot of over a period of months to build your qunat and verbal skills. If you land in the 600 range, then maybe focused study for a month or two will get you to the 730 level. And if you land in the 700s then a month of focused prep might be sufficient.

But it is important to remember that a score of 730 is not easy to achieve. This is the 94 percentile! That means for every 100 people who take the test, only 6 will score 730 or higher. So don't be surprised if you end up spending 6 months preparing for the test.

My last piece of advice is to not cram for the GMAT. It is not a test that you can memorize facts and formulas for and then do well. It is testing your skill level. This is something that you can't cram for. No number of "tricks" will get you above a 700. What matters if truly increasing your ability to reason and read. So that means you can't expect to cram 8 hours of GMAT studies into a day and expect to improve.

I know that this is probably not the answer you were hoping for or expecting. But as a teacher, I feel obligated to lay it all out there so that you don't have unreasonable expectations. That said, I have been wrong in the past, and I hope that you can prove me wrong this time too!

Best of luck with your studies! Go out and dominate the GMAT!! :)

Cheers,

Kevin

by gmateasy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:24 pm
Thanks Kevin, you gave me a very detailed reply. I appreciate that.

Is it difficult to score between 650-670 range as I have test on April 25 and just starting manhattan and official guides not prepared anything so March 20 is first day of study.

I'm a full time student. Just at home.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:12 pm
Hi gmateasy,

The GMAT is not a test that can be "crammed for"; beyond learning the content, you have to learn multiple ways to approach questions (so that you're flexible enough to use the "best"/fastest approach for each prompt), you have to learn proper pacing and how to handle the physical and psychological hurdles that are built into Test Day. Having the extra time to review past subjects and take practice CATs is also quite helpful. Cramming doesn't allow for much of either.

While a small percentage of Test Takers can approach this process in a minimal way and succeed, the bulk of Test Takers need 3+ months of consistent study (and in many cases, professional guidance) to achieve their goals. A good place to start is to take a full-length practice CAT to get a sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses. You'll find that you'll learn a lot about this process by doing it; as you learn more about the GMAT, you can adjust your plans accordingly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by ThomasLHall » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:16 pm
Yes, Rich and Kevin have it right. Take a GMATPrep CAT diagnostic as soon as possible. That will tell you your starting abilities and whether the scores you are aiming for are achievable in the month or so you have before your currently scheduled test date.

Improving 100 points in a month is certainly doable with intense, focused, efficient prep, so if you score a 550 or above on your diagnostic, you can probably reach that 650-670 range by April 25th.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:44 am
Okay GMAT Easy - Reality Check! I have to agree with the guys above - you need to take a diagnostic. Where you start from is more important in the short term than it is in the long term.

I feel like I need to address something that you said so that it does not give other people a false and even a dangerous impression.
I also met a student who studied gmat on a full time basis for 3 weeks, 21 days 18 hours a day, not working just studying.

My question is that I I follow 2nd student option as I've exam on April 25, will it produce result of 730.
I am not sure what you mean?

Studying for 18 hours per day for 21 days is not possible. Not even on a bet. Not even as a joke.

And if it were possible to do nothing but study, eat, and sleep (and less than 5 hours of sleep -at 18 hours studying and 1 hour for meals - That is not advisable either) why would you???

Let me tell you about someone else. He registered for the LSAT took two practices tests, studied for a total of 10 hours and scored in the 99th percentile, which is the equivalent of a 760 on the GMAT.

You see some people are just very good at these exams. The person who studied for 18 hours a day, may have been good at exams and that is why she/ he scored a 730. This person likely did not need a fraction of the time spent "studying" since much of that time was undoubtedly wasted. With an appropriate study schedule this person may have scored a 750 or 760 in many fewer hours of studying.

I can tell you one thing. If you try to study for 18 hours per day you will not be doing yourself - nor your GMAT score any good.

Just for example, please read the following articles on exercise. If you study for 18 hours per day you are clearly not exercising during those three weeks. Scientists agree that exercise is the only way to build new brain cells and protect the old ones and three weeks of not exercising is literally mentioned by researchers as too long to go without exercise.

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/12 ... mat-score/

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/12 ... t-anxiety/

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/05/ ... e-the-gmat

Listen, bottom line here...You can really "study" for about 5 hours per day. One 3 hour session and one two hour session. By "study" I mean learn something new. I mean attempt challenging problems. I mean really concentrating and really trying. 5 hour per day of that, for 20 days is 100 hours. According to GMAC, the average GMAT test-taker studies less than 100 hours.

Anything beyond five hours per day on a consistent basis has to be something else... like doing problems you are already good at. I mean I could 10 hours per day of critical reasoning and reading comprehension, if for some reason I had to. That is because that would not be studying. I scored a perfect 51/51 on verbal and had 20 minutes left on the clock. When I do verbal questions on the GMAT that is not studying it is just having fun.

What you need to think about is not the number of hours. There is nothing magic in more hours of studying. I have been an expert on Beat the GMAT for 4 years now and there are students who have been studying for that entire length of time - literally thousands of hours. There is no magic to more hours. It is what you do with those hours.

PEOPLE take the GMAT not computers. You need to take care of your body and your mind and you need to learn how to think like the test maker. This is not a matter of putting the data into your brain to get the result you want. Be careful what advice you follow. Much of it is worse than no advice at all.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by gmateasy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 am
David thanks for the reply.

How can I finish Manhattan and Official Guides in 100 hours and I've 26 days to study all 12 books and then do 10+ Cats.

by gmateasy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 am
I should've studied earlier but due to procrastination I ended up to this situation.

What should I do, please help. I've Manhattan and official guides how should I study as my exam is after 40 days.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm
Great question!

Let me say that 10+ CATS in 26 days is too many. I have a schedule below that includes 7. This is probably the most you should do. You use practice tests to see where you are in your studies - kind of like a track meet is how people see how fast they are. You do not become a better runner at a track meet. You improve before and after. CAT's are the same way.

You can test your knowledge of subjects, your techniques, your timing strategy and your ability to perform under pressure. Then you analyze that test and see what you need to do in order to improve.

You will need several days to take the tests, see what you did wrong, study those areas and take another test.

As far as CATs go -- I say take one now to see where you are. Then study for a good 10 days to really learn a few things and then begin your CATs. I have a little example below that gives you 2 or 3 days between CATS and has you take 6 of them (in addition to the 1 now). I assume you have access to the M-GMAT Tests so I include 2 of those and the FREE Veritas Prep Test in addition to 4 GMATPrep.

SO CAT 1 = now (GMATPrep 1)
CAT 2 = 10 days (GMATPrep 2)
CAT 3 = 13 days (M-GMAT 1)
CAT 4 = 16 days (GMATPrep 3 - from the Exam Pack add-on)
CAT 5 = 18 days (Veritas Free Test)
CAT 6 = 21 days (GMATPrep 4 - from the Exam Pack add-on)
CAT 7 = 23 days (Re-take GMATPrep 1 - you will not see many repeats and will likely have forgotten them).

TEST DAY = 26 days

(DO NOT take a test the day before the GMAT.)

Some of what you need to do might not be so intense. So maybe you can do more than five hours. For example, if you plan to read all of those study guides and do all of those official GMAT questions perhaps you can structure it this way:

(1) A 3 hour session that involves basically reading a book, or strategy articles. Not so intense.

(2) An intense 2 hour and 30 minute session of challenging problems. Your cell phone should be off and no other windows open on your computer during this session (or your computer closed if you are working from a book). This is a great time to do official questions and build stamina by really trying. You should pretend every day that this is the exam and only take an 8-minute break halfway through.

This is session is the length of an exam and this is the session to take the practice test in. In fact, this session should be at the same time of day as your exam. This session will expand to 4 hours when you take the entire exam including IR and AWA. You should take these sections on as many practice tests as possible so that you are prepared for the nearly 4 hours of the actual exam.

(3) A moderately intense 2 hour session that involves analyzing your practice exam from earlier in the day or that involves problem sets on subjects that are not as taxing for you or that simply involves working through a lesson.

That is 4.5 hours of what I would call intense studying and another 3 hours of reading articles or books for a total of 7.5 hours per day. Your brain needs sleep in between learning things - in fact sleep IS how you learn. So 7.5 hours per day is better than than trying to study for 10+ hours on any particular day.

In addition do not forget to get the right amount for sleep - this is generally from 6 to 8.5 hours (depending on the person) - and exercise frequently. You will be under some stress and only sleep and exercise are proven to lessen stress and reduce stress hormones.

You should also try to do something that you enjoy -- every day. 26 days is a long time to not have any fun!

Finally, remember to try to focus on studying when you are studying and to not be distracted. Distracted thinking is a score-killer. Please see the attached articles on so-called "multi-tasking." (You can take a few minutes out of your 3 hour reading block to read the articles below!)

26 days is tight but if you develop a schedule and stick to it, you might just make it!

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/02 ... mat-score/

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/02 ... e-part-ii/

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/02 ... mat-score/

Veritas Prep Reviews

by gmateasy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:30 pm
Thanks again for so detailed and professional explanations.

1 thing I've 26 days to study and another 13 days for cats and 1 day to relax for a total of 40 days.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:44 pm
GREAT! So extend that schedule out a little. You could conceivably take more of your M-GMAT CATs if you need to. Take 3 days between tests so that you have two days to analyze and improve before you take the next test.

With 40 days you really can do this is on 7.5 hours per day. You could even take a day off - or at least partly off - each week (I would recommend doing something fun to keep you going for what is essentially 6 weeks)

40 days is very doable. The Quality of the time you put it in is more important than the number of hours. So FOCUS on the GMAT when you are working on the GMAT. AND when you are not working on the GMAT, when you are having fun, with friends or family, exercising, etc. don't think about the GMAT. This is your job for the next 40 days. When you are at work (i.e. studying for the GMAT) then be at work and really put out the effort. When you are not studying then you are off work and you need to relax and recharge for another day of your "GMAT job."

Treat studying professionally and you will get the best results that you are capable of earning.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by gmateasy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:47 pm
Thanks David.

I agreed with your points.

Now I realize why you won teaching awards etc in Veritas because you can read student minds and you gave very detailed instructions.

by gmateasy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 pm
Thanks again for reminding me that I need to put efforts when I sit as in my case I was not using the time wisely when studying and keeping so many other thinking alive in my mind.

I was also thinking about GMAT all the time even when not studying.

Thanks David professor, you're a genius.

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by ThomasLHall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm
David has some great points on how to structure your limited time. Taking a bit of a step back here, why the extreme time crunch? The deadlines for Round 1 applications are far off and its quite getting late to apply Round 3 at most schools. If possible, I would recommend pushing your test date back and taking a more balanced, spread out approach to your prep.

The GMAT is a challenging test and deserves adequate prep time. I think you will find that cramming is not effective. Looking at the big picture of your application goals and your GMAT prep right now is healthy before you dive into self-study.

by gmateasy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:56 pm
I wish I can have more time but due to some personal matters, procrastination, and i see lots of failure in past and was not able to start my gmat studies therefore.

I want admission in Master of Accounting programme and need 650 gmat for that only.