Which CAT'S to exclude

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Which CAT'S to exclude

by gmateasy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:32 pm
I want to know which CAT's I can remove from my study plan as I've less time to study everything and then do the CAT's. Please suggest me which Cat's I can remove from my study plan. Thanks.

Manhattan 6 Cat's

Gmat Premier 5 Cat's

Veritas 6 Cat's

Gmat Prep 2 free Cat's

Gmat Prep Additional 2 Cat's

Gmat Prep Additional Practise questions

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:30 pm
Whatever you do be sure to keep the official tests in there! Keep the GMATPrep 2 free tests and the GMATPrep tests that you add-on.

It is also worth it to purchase the additional questions for GMATPrep.

As for the other practice tests, you can try one of the Veritas Prep tests for free. The link is in my signature line. I think you will like the features that this test has. It is also truly adaptive as the difficulty ratings are based on actual student responses during exams, millions of responses.

Depending on how much time you and need you have for exams that is 5 full exams. If you feel like you will need more exams it is a good idea to mix them up. So do a GMATPrep and then a Veritas and then a M-GMAT and back to a GMATPrep. This is better than doing all of one kind of test and then switching to all of another kind.

By the way just those tests mentioned would be 16 Tests. In my opinion that is probably too many.

I personally have never heard of GMAT Premier.

Hope it helps!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by gmateasy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:48 pm
Thanks.

Gmat premier is by Kaplan.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:22 pm
Oh well I did not know that you can try one of those as well then. That depends on how many tests you feel you need and what you want to pay for.

I am sure that they each offer a free exam as Veritas does and you can see which you like!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:41 pm
Hi gmateasy,

How long is your study plan? You pose an interesting question, but there's no way to answer it until we know a bit more about what you plan to do.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by ThomasLHall » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:08 pm
The GMATPrep CATs are the best, so definitely take each twice. Make sure to space out when you take them so that you are somewhat fresh for each retaking (more on that later). The GMATPrep Question pack is excellent as well and you should buy those retired questions. That said, the QPack is a different beast, as you can use it for practice to improve your timing and target weaker areas.

Depending on how long you have to prep, you very likely do not need to take more than 10 total CATs. I like the MGMAT CATs - I used them during my prep and they have a great reputation. Veritas is a well established company and I'm sure their CATs are fine too. It is possible that their Quant sections are a bit on the easy side which contrasts with MGMAT being a bit tougher in Quant.

Either way, it probably makes sense to use all MGMAT (because they are proven) or use half MGMAT and half Veritas (to balance out eccentricities in the tests). Use the GMATPrep CATs as the measurement of your overall progress and the 3rd party CATs for honing skills, practice with timing, and building mental endurance.

Here is what your full CAT schedule could look like with the six MGMAT CATs mixed in:

GMATPrep 1
MGMAT 1
MGMAT 2
GMATPrep 2
MGMAT 3
MGMAT 4
GMATPrep 1 (retake)
MGMAT 5
MGMAT 6
GMATPrep 2 (retake)

Here, the retakes are far away from the first taking, which makes the GMATPrep retake scores more reliable as an indicator of your current score level.

It is important to note that most improvement on the GMAT comes from learning/reviewing strategies and taking practice problems on specific topics, not from taking tons of CATs. CATs are crucial for getting used to the official experience and other things, but be sure you strike a nice balance in your prep.

Incidentally, I've just published GMAT Clarity, a guide to GMAT self-study. It answers questions like this very thoroughly. It's currently only $7 on Amazon (will soon be $40).

by gmateasy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:07 am
I'm preparing gmat for next 26 days in which I will go through all Manhattan and official guides. I'm not working currently so studying as a full time student.

Second I'll then solve 6 Manhattan Cat's, 90 Practise Questions and Additional Practise questions from MBA.com and 4 cats from MBA.com plus gmat write essay practise from mba.com

Is it possible to achieve +43Q+35V+5AWA+6IR.

26 days to study manhattan and official guides
13 days for cats which are listed above
01 a day before exam relax

---
+40 day game plan.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:59 pm
Hi gmateasy,

If you haven't taken a full-length practice CAT yet, then there's no measure of your "starting position", so there's no way to say how likely you are to achieve your goal in 40 days.

I will offer this though: waiting to take your CATs until the last 2 weeks (AND taking 10 of them during that time) is a TERRIBLE IDEA. Having the necessary time between CATs to do review, learn new material, restudy old material and have some "down time" is a must - in your plan, you do not have enough time between CATs to do much of what is needed.

I recommend that you plan to take 1 CAT/week DURING your 40 days to studying and spread your other planned assignments around those CATs. This will give you a far better chance to "learn from your mistakes" and make the necessary adjustments to how you take the test.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]