CR question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

CR question

by Param800 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 am
Distance learning offers a potentially lucrative option for learning institutions. Money that would otherwise be spent on classroom space, parking facilities, climate control, and other particulars associated with providing a location-specific service can be diverted to marketing and quality control two crucial factors that can drive new business.

Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the statements above?

A. The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods.
B. Online classes are more convenient for both instructors and students than are classes held at specific geographic locations.
C. Distance learning does not required climate control or parking facilities.
D. Most types of instruction can be effectively conducted in an online setting.
E. Computers and internet access are uniformly available to people in the developed world.

OA : A
Source : IDK

I narrowed down to options A and C. I don't understand why A is right and C is wrong. My reasoning is as follows: Option A states that "The costs associated with offering distance learning are lower than those of other instruction methods". There's no reference in the premise about the " other instruction methods". It just says that Distance Learning saves money. But how are we comparing it with the " other methods" ? Maybe, part-time students are so less that the institution saves even more than DL as they have to pay for less profs and stuff like that..

And in contrary, why is C wrong ? The premise states that because of DL one doesn't need to spend money on Climate Control and Parking facilities. So, doesn't this means that DL doesn't require Climate Control and Parking facilities ? To be honest, I think C is also not the best answer but relatively good.
Please clarify these doubts.

Thank You

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:49 am
Param800, this is an Inference question .. the answer to inference questions is generally what we can derive from the Argument presented.

Here, we can derive that COST is lower.. that's why plans to proper investment came up.

{C} is merely a case of premise restatement.
Last edited by theCodeToGMAT on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:03 pm
This question is not up to GMAT standards.

The standard for Inference on the GMAT is that the correct answer "MUST BE TRUE." The four incorrect answers "COULD BE FALSE." That is all you have to worry about. Technically, a mere restatement would not be true, but this is not something that they actually do on the GMAT. So all you have to worry about is eliminating the 4 choices that Could be False.

In the real world an inference means that you make connections and you draw an additional conclusion. On the GMAT this actually happens as well but you do not have to be concerned.

Choice C, is not something that could be false, right? And it is a little bit of an inference. You cannot save the money that you would have spent unless you do not need to spend it any more.

So chalk this up to a bad question.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Param800 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:09 pm
Thank You very much for clarifying my concerns.

I have one follow up question. From where should I practice CR questions ? I am learning the strategies related to each question type from PowerScore CR Bible and then looking for some practice questions online from different forms related to each question type. I am analyzing every question very carefully and making sure that I know the exact reason why I am discarding the 4 options out of 5. But, when I encounter such questions which are poorly written or have some flaws and if I do them wrong, then I get demoralized.

Could you please let me know the best resource to practice CR questions based on type of questions ? And also, do you think it is good for me to first go through all the question types and then practice questions from OG or the way I am doing right now ?

Thanks a lot for your time.[/img]

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:47 am
With all of the new resources available from GMAC and other sources such as the Veritas Question Bank (free to all at this link: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/ You can afford to use the Official Guide 13th edition or the Verbal Review 2nd edition to learn your questions by category. And then use the GMAT Prep add-on "Prep Pack 1" to practice your questions in a computerized format. You can also use the Veritas Question Bank that I mentioned above to practice CR questions, as well as of course, practicing verbal as part of the CAT Tests. In addition to the two free GMAT Prep Tests there are now two more that you can purchase. There is also one FREE Veritas Prep CAT test that is receiving great reviews link: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gm ... tice-test/ and just announced, if you find that you really like the free Veritas test, 5-more Veritas prep CAT tests are available for purchase ($49).

So here are my thoughts for you and others who read this:

1) Use a strategy guide to learn the techniques for Critical Reasoning. You are using the CR Bible, which I find to be a little bit too in-depth for the GMAT, but is certainly thorough.

2) Practice your CR initially through PAPER (i.e. a book) sources for questions. For example the Veritas CR book has dozens of CR questions in the lesson and the homework. The Official Guide to the GMAT can now be used here. As can the Verbal Review 2nd edition. In the next message please find my categorization of each of these two resources (OG 13 and Verbal Review 2). This way you can use these official questions to practice the various categories of questions if you so choose. Of course, it is very helpful to go through the questions without knowing what type of question is coming next, but if you want to - for example - practice more "most useful to know in order to EVALUATE" types of questions just look for "most useful to know" on my list below. If you are using the 12th edition of the Official Guide please let me know and I can give the categorization of that version as well.

3) Use the computerized resources in order to practice questions in the most realistic fashion - after you have used you paper sources. This is when you will want to use the CR questions from the Prep Pack add-on and from other sources like the Veritas Question bank. Working these questions on the computer is more realistic for test day and also you can mix in other types of questions so that it is a better simulation for test day. For example, on the GMAT Prep Pack 1 you could practice 15 CR questions and then add another 15 questions split between SC and RC. This is more realistic because you are not just doing CR after CR but are switching as you would on the real test, yet you are still getting a CR-heavy practice session since 50% of your questions are CR.

4) Whatever you do, make the most of each question that you attempt. It sounds like that is what you are doing. That is why it is great to use so many official questions as well as high-quality sources. Some of the questions posted on forums do not make the cut! If you see one of those do not worry too much, okay?

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:53 am
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 13th Edition Question Categorization
New questions indicated. Number in brackets indicates question number from OG 12

1. New. Strengthen. Conclusion in question stem.
2. (3). Weaken. Describe the Flaw.
3. New. Paradox.
4. (4). Weaken.
5. (5). Plan. Strengthen.
6. New. Paradox.
7. (6). Plan. Choose the Plan.
8. New. Weaken.
9. New. Paradox.
10. (7). Most Useful to Know.
11. New. Strengthen.
12. New. Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
13. (9). Plan. Paradox.
14. (11). Strengthen.
15. (12). Plan. Most Useful to Know.
16. (14). Strengthen.
17. New. Plan. Strengthen.
18. (17). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced. Single portion.
19. New. Strengthen.
20. (19). Weaken. Describe the Flaw.
21. (20). Assumption.
22. New. Strengthen.
23. (21). Strengthen.
24. (22). Paradox.
25. (23). Weaken.
26. (26). Inference.
27. (27). Most Useful to Know.
28. (29). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
29. New. Plan. Choose the Plan.
30. (32). Plan. Strengthen.
31. (34). Weaken. Most Logically Completes.
32. (35). Weaken.
33. New. Plan. Name Flaw. Most Logically Completes.
34. (37). Method of Reasoning.
35. (38). Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
36. (39). Most Useful to Know.
37. (40). Weaken. Cause and Effect.
38. (41). Inference. Most Logically Completes.
39. New. Assumption. Most Logically Completes.
40. (42). Strengthen.
41. (43). Assumption.
42. (44). Plan. Most Useful to Know.
43. (45). Plan. Respond to criticism.
44. (46). EXCEPT. Paradox.
45. (47). Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
46. (48). Assumption.
47. (49). Most Useful to Know.
48. (50). Assumption.
49. New. Paradox.
50. (51). Strengthen.
51. (52). Weaken. Describe the Flaw.
52. (53). Strengthen. Cause and Effect.
53. (55). Plan. Choose the Plan.
54. (56). Inference.
55. (57). Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
56. (58). Strengthen.
57. (59). Paradox.
58. (60). Weaken.
59. New. Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
60. (61). Inference.
61. (62). Paradox.
62. (63). Weaken. Describe the Flaw.
63. (64). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
64. (65). Strengthen.
65. New. Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
66. (66). Inference.
67. (67). Strengthen.
68. (69). Most Useful to Know.
69. New. Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
70. (72). Most Useful to Know.
71. (73). Weaken.
72. (74). Most Useful to Know.
73. (75). Weaken. Cause and Effect.
74. New. Inference. Most Logically Completes.
75. (76). Assumption.
76. (77). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
77. (78). Assumption.
78. (79). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
79. (81). Weaken.
80. (82). EXCEPT. Strengthen.
81. New. Strengthen. Most Logically Completes.
82. (83). Weaken.
83. (84). Assumption.
84. (85). Method of Reasoning.
85. (86). Method of Reasoning.
86. New. Paradox.
87. (87). Weaken.
88. (88). Plan. Weaken.
89. (89). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
90. (90). Plan. Weaken.
91. (91). Inference.
92. (92). Paradox.
93. (93). Assumption.
94. New. Paradox.
95. (94). Strengthen. Cause and Effect.
96. (95). Assumption.
97. (96). Plan. Disadvantage.
98. (97). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
99. (98). Paradox.
100. New. Weaken. Describe the Flaw.
101. (99). Weaken. Most Logically Completes.
102. (100). EXCEPT. Strengthen.
103. (101). Inference.
104. (102). Inference.
105. (103). Inference.
106. New. Assumption.
107. (104) Weaken.
108. (106). EXCEPT. Strengthen.
109. (107). Plan. Assumption.
110. (108). Most Useful to Know.
111. (109). Plan. Strengthen.
112. (111). Weaken.
113. (112). Assumption.
114. New. Most Useful to Know.
115. (114). Weaken.
116. (117). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
117. (118). Plan. Disadvantage.
118. (119). Strengthen.
119. (120). Weaken.
120. (121) Strengthen.
121. (122). Strengthen.
122. (123). Weaken.
123. (124). Method of Reasoning. Bold-faced.
124. New. Most Useful to Know.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by Param800 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:19 pm
Thanks a Lot David ! Sure, I will not worry too much for bad questions :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by borntobreaktherecord » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:15 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:With all of the new resources available from GMAC and other sources such as the Veritas Question Bank (free to all at this link: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/ You can afford to use the Official Guide 13th edition or the Verbal Review 2nd edition to learn your questions by category. And then use the GMAT Prep add-on "Prep Pack 1" to practice your questions in a computerized format. You can also use the Veritas Question Bank that I mentioned above to practice CR questions, as well as of course, practicing verbal as part of the CAT Tests. In addition to the two free GMAT Prep Tests there are now two more that you can purchase. There is also one FREE Veritas Prep CAT test that is receiving great reviews link: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gm ... tice-test/ and just announced, if you find that you really like the free Veritas test, 5-more Veritas prep CAT tests are available for purchase ($49).

So here are my thoughts for you and others who read this:

1) Use a strategy guide to learn the techniques for Critical Reasoning. You are using the CR Bible, which I find to be a little bit too in-depth for the GMAT, but is certainly thorough.

2) Practice your CR initially through PAPER (i.e. a book) sources for questions. For example the Veritas CR book has dozens of CR questions in the lesson and the homework. The Official Guide to the GMAT can now be used here. As can the Verbal Review 2nd edition. In the next message please find my categorization of each of these two resources (OG 13 and Verbal Review 2). This way you can use these official questions to practice the various categories of questions if you so choose. Of course, it is very helpful to go through the questions without knowing what type of question is coming next, but if you want to - for example - practice more "most useful to know in order to EVALUATE" types of questions just look for "most useful to know" on my list below. If you are using the 12th edition of the Official Guide please let me know and I can give the categorization of that version as well.

3) Use the computerized resources in order to practice questions in the most realistic fashion - after you have used you paper sources. This is when you will want to use the CR questions from the Prep Pack add-on and from other sources like the Veritas Question bank. Working these questions on the computer is more realistic for test day and also you can mix in other types of questions so that it is a better simulation for test day. For example, on the GMAT Prep Pack 1 you could practice 15 CR questions and then add another 15 questions split between SC and RC. This is more realistic because you are not just doing CR after CR but are switching as you would on the real test, yet you are still getting a CR-heavy practice session since 50% of your questions are CR.

4) Whatever you do, make the most of each question that you attempt. It sounds like that is what you are doing. That is why it is great to use so many official questions as well as high-quality sources. Some of the questions posted on forums do not make the cut! If you see one of those do not worry too much, okay?
I am the 1000th thanked user for David..Thanks for your insight David..your contribution to this forum is invaluable..!